Help with Plugins - macOS Sierra

Help for Audacity 2.x.x on Mac OS X.

ImageThis forum is for Audacity 2.x.x on Mac OS X 10.4 and later.
Please state which version of OS X you are using, the exact three-section version of Audacity from Audacity > About Audacity and whether you obtained the .dmg installer or the zip.

Audacity 1.2.x and 1.3.x are obsolete and no longer supported. If you still have those versions, please upgrade at https://www.audacityteam.org/download/.
The old forums for those versions are now closed, but you can still read the archives of the 1.2.x and 1.3.x forums.

Re: Help with Plugins - macOS Sierra

Permanent link to this post Posted by waxcylinder » Sun Dec 04, 2016 5:50 pm

I've just been testing with that latest alpha nightly ba263d0 04Dec16 on Sierra - and I can no longer see any Nyquist effects.

If I use Finder to look in Applications>Audacity>plug-ins I can see a whole slew of nyquist effects <effectname>.ny

But in Audacity only the Audacity Effects are showing - and going to the Plug-in Manager there are no nyquist efeects cisible there at all - not in the enable, not in the disabled and not in the new. The new does have Classic filters and a whole slew of apple au effects.

Now I'm a very simple-minded Apple neophyte and expect all this Apple stuff to "just work seamlessly" as all my Macolyte friends have always assured me it does over the years. This seems to give the lie to that ... :o :?

If this is a bug that Apple has introduced with Sierra then we are going to need a nice simple recipe for our less-skilled Apple users like myself 8-)

Peter.
________________________________________FOR INSTANT HELP: (Click on Link below)
* * * * * FAQ * * * * * Tutorials * * * * * Audacity Manual * * * * * Audacity Wiki * * * * *
waxcylinder
Forum Staff

Operating System: Windows 10

Permanent link to this post Posted by Gale Andrews » Mon Dec 05, 2016 2:09 am

waxcylinder wrote:If this is a bug that Apple has introduced with Sierra then we are going to need a nice simple recipe for our less-skilled Apple users like myself 8-)

Have you tried the Terminal command given here:
http://forum.audacityteam.org/viewtopic.php?p=315732#p315732

You just need to open /Applications/Utilities/Terminal.app, then type or paste that code. You probably need to prefix the code given there with "sudo" (without quotes), so
Code: Select all
sudo  xattr -r -d com.apple.quarantine /Applications/Audacity/

When the command is typed correctly. hit ENTER.

You will be asked for your password. Type it carefully because the Terminal does not echo the password to the screen, so you can't see the password. When the password is complete, hit ENTER.

You don't get any feedback for a successful command, so if you get taken back to the command prompt, that's a good sign.

Gale
* * * * * Tips * * * * * Tutorials * * * * * Quick Start Guide * * * * * Audacity Manual
Gale Andrews
Quality Assurance

Permanent link to this post Posted by waxcylinder » Mon Dec 05, 2016 1:02 pm

@Gale: I'll give that a try when I get some time

But it doesn't seem like a "simple recipe" to a Mac neophyte like me :roll:

Peter
* * * * * FAQ * * * * * Tutorials * * * * * Audacity Manual * * * * * Audacity Wiki * * * * *
waxcylinder
Forum Staff

Permanent link to this post Posted by Gale Andrews » Mon Dec 05, 2016 3:33 pm

waxcylinder wrote:But it doesn't seem like a "simple recipe" to a Mac neophyte like me :roll:

Let's hope with the signed build that we won't need to offer that solution. You can reboot, or execute the "Audacity" shell app inside the bundle, but it is said those methods are less likely to work.

Gale
* * * * * Tips * * * * * Tutorials * * * * * Quick Start Guide * * * * * Audacity Manual
Gale Andrews
Quality Assurance

Permanent link to this post Posted by waxcylinder » Mon Dec 05, 2016 4:19 pm

Gale, if I did get time to try that non-simple recipe, would doing that invalidate any future test to see if the upcoming signed version supplies the Nyquist commands :?:

I din't need the Nyquist commands there right now - so it's no hardship to wait.

Peter
waxcylinder
Forum Staff

Permanent link to this post Posted by Gale Andrews » Mon Dec 05, 2016 6:03 pm

waxcylinder wrote:Gale, if I did get time to try that non-simple recipe, would doing that invalidate any future test to see if the upcoming signed version supplies the Nyquist commands :?:

As long as you only removed the quarantine on /Applications/Audacity/ it would be a valid test to then download the signed build to your Downloads folder and execute it from there.

Gale
Gale Andrews
Quality Assurance

Permanent link to this post Posted by erik.ellestad » Wed Jan 25, 2017 7:27 pm

Thanks for posting this!

After running the command the nyquist plugins are working perfectly.

Just got a new Mac and thought I was going crazy!

icprg wrote:All files in the Audacity app had the xattr com.apple.quarantine set. Even when I told gatekeeper that it should trust Audacity, it wont allow audacity to read nyquist and plugin folders. I tried to remove that extended attribute running:

Code: Select all
 xattr -r -d com.apple.quarantine /Applications/Audacity/

And now Audacity is working like a charm!
erik.ellestad

Operating System: OS X 10.11 El Capitan or later (macOS)

Permanent link to this post Posted by stevemc » Wed Feb 15, 2017 3:56 pm

I'm so glad to sound this post. The "xattr command solution" solved my problem with seeing the nyquist plug-ins. I spent a couple of days off and on searching for a solution stumbling upon this page.

To save others time, I suggest that you add some information to the Mac OS download page and if possible the readme included in the download DMG (thought this may require new build so maybe that's not so easy). I see there is a "Known Issue" regarding security settings on the download page but the xattr solution is not shown and the one that is mentioned does not solve problem.

This is the OSX download page I'm referring to: http://www.audacityteam.org/download/mac/
stevemc

Permanent link to this post Posted by Gale Andrews » Thu Feb 16, 2017 1:46 pm

stevemc wrote:I'm so glad to sound this post. The "xattr command solution" solved my problem with seeing the nyquist plug-ins. I spent a couple of days off and on searching for a solution stumbling upon this page.

To save others time, I suggest that you add some information to the Mac OS download page and if possible the readme included in the download DMG (thought this may require new build so maybe that's not so easy). I see there is a "Known Issue" regarding security settings on the download page but the xattr solution is not shown and the one that is mentioned does not solve problem.

This is the OSX download page I'm referring to: http://www.audacityteam.org/download/mac/

Thanks. The problem is a Mac issue that only started with 10.12.1 and does not affect all machines.

The upcoming 2.1.3 release (which is planned for the 20th February at present) is signed with an Apple developer signature and should fix most of this problem, except for a much smaller subset of machines where the plugin failure (and also lost access to LAME/FFmpeg) occurs when closing project windows. The current status of this and other Gatekeeper issues will be in the 2.1.3 release notes, and Sierra will be described as "only partially supported".

Extra information is already needed on the download page for 2.1.3 to describe how users should handle duplicate plugin entries from the previous installation of Audacity, which arise from Audacity 2.1.3 being supplied just as an application instead of inside a folder.

So very likely all we will do on that page is link to a help page about "Partial Sierra support".

If you want to try the RC1 release candidate of 2.1.3 and give us feedback about it, please visit https://www.fosshub.com/Audacity.html/.

Gale
Gale Andrews
Quality Assurance

Permanent link to this post Posted by stevemc » Thu Feb 16, 2017 10:43 pm

If you want to try the RC1 release candidate of 2.1.3 and give us feedback about it, please visit https://www.fosshub.com/Audacity.html/.

I tried the build and it worked perfectly. Its nice the way its a single package instead of a folder now.

Thanks!
stevemc

PreviousNext

Return to Mac OS X