Help with Plugins - macOS Sierra

Help for Audacity 2.x.x on Mac OS X.

ImageThis forum is for Audacity 2.x.x on Mac OS X 10.4 and later.
Please state which version of OS X you are using, the exact three-section version of Audacity from Audacity > About Audacity and whether you obtained the .dmg installer or the zip.

Audacity 1.2.x and 1.3.x are obsolete and no longer supported. If you still have those versions, please upgrade at https://www.audacityteam.org/download/.
The old forums for those versions are now closed, but you can still read the archives of the 1.2.x and 1.3.x forums.

Re: Help with Plugins - macOS Sierra

Permanent link to this post Posted by poseidan » Tue Oct 11, 2016 1:26 am

Gale Andrews wrote:Yes. Quitting Terminal will force quit Audacity, so leave the Terminal open until you have quit Audacity normally from within Audacity.

Also please just try rebooting and let us know if that avoids having to use the Terminal. We don't want to have to provide instructions how to use the Terminal for less able users, unless we have to.

Gale

Rebooting makes no difference, Gale. I still have to use Terminal. And yesterday evening, the Terminal method 1 didn't work, so I had to use method 2 [right click, open/show package, drag exe into Terminal]. I'll let you know how things go. I have been waiting for a long time to get this working and now it is, I'll be using Audacity a lot. Hopefully this bug can be fixed?
poseidan

Operating System: OS X 10.11 El Capitan or later (macOS)

Permanent link to this post Posted by Gale Andrews » Tue Oct 11, 2016 3:32 pm

poseidan wrote:Rebooting makes no difference, Gale. I still have to use Terminal. And yesterday evening, the Terminal method 1 didn't work, so I had to use method 2 [right click, open/show package, drag exe into Terminal]. I'll let you know how things go. I have been waiting for a long time to get this working and now it is, I'll be using Audacity a lot. Hopefully this bug can be fixed?

Or you can just double-click the Audacity executable in Contents/MacOS/.

We can't fix the bug - if it is an Audacity bug and not a Mac bug - until we can make it happen on our machines or have some idea why it is happening. Are there still no messages in the Terminal when you execute Contents/MacOS/Audacity?

You could launch Audacity normally, triggering the problem, and then look in Console.app for reports or warnings that occurred just now.

Gale
________________________________________FOR INSTANT HELP: (Click on Link below)
* * * * * Tips * * * * * Tutorials * * * * * Quick Start Guide * * * * * Audacity Manual
Gale Andrews
Quality Assurance

Operating System: Windows 10

Permanent link to this post Posted by drakaeon » Wed Oct 26, 2016 12:37 pm

I have exactly the same problem. Nyquist plugins did not load.

I clean install macOs Sierra last week on my 2011 iMac. All work fines with Audacity 2.1.x (tried first with 2.1.0, then with 2.1.2), except the Nyquist plugins.
I mount the DMG file, copied the entire folder into the Application folder, unmount the DMG file and run app from my hard-drive.

I got this in the log screen :
08:08:58: Audacity 2.1.2
08:08:58: Avertissement :Critical Nyquist files could not be found. Nyquist effects will not work.

So, I'm glad to have another Mac in my house.. I did a test with a MacBook Pro 2010 with OS X 10.10.5. I perform the same install of Audacity 2.1.2 and the Nyquist loaded at the first start without any problem. (no log message about Nyquist)

I'm pretty sure it's a path/permission issue with macOS Sierra.
drakaeon

Permanent link to this post Posted by icprg » Thu Oct 27, 2016 10:07 am

I had the same problem. Macos Sierra "clean install", which means Mac OS X internet install (Lion) then upgrade to Sierra.

I don't have this problem anymore. Don't know if it will work for others, but what I did was changing owner:group to admin:wheel (run in terminal: sudo chown -R root:wheel /Applications/Audacity/ )
icprg

Permanent link to this post Posted by Gale Andrews » Thu Oct 27, 2016 12:19 pm

icprg wrote:I had the same problem. Macos Sierra "clean install", which means Mac OS X internet install (Lion) then upgrade to Sierra.

I don't have this problem anymore. Don't know if it will work for others, but what I did was changing owner:group to admin:wheel (run in terminal: sudo chown -R root:wheel /Applications/Audacity/ )

Thanks for writing. What was owner:group before? Admin is not the same group as root so I don't quite understand it as you wrote it.

Gale
________________________________________FOR INSTANT HELP: (Click on Link below)
* * * * * Tips * * * * * Tutorials * * * * * Quick Start Guide * * * * * Audacity Manual
Gale Andrews
Quality Assurance

Operating System: Windows 10

Permanent link to this post Posted by icprg » Thu Oct 27, 2016 4:45 pm

It was myuser:admin. All other applications were assigned to MacOs defaults (root:wheel). I just changed Audacity to that owner (root) and group(wheel). 
icprg

Permanent link to this post Posted by icprg » Thu Oct 27, 2016 4:49 pm

Sorry to post again, but since my comments are waiting for a mod to approve I had to post again.

I just re-read my post and where I said:

but what I did was changing owner:group to admin:wheel

should be read as root:wheel

My bad!
icprg

Permanent link to this post Posted by icprg » Fri Oct 28, 2016 12:39 pm

Forget about my suggestion about changing owner and group, it didn't really worked (nyquist couldn't load). I think I found why Audacity wasn't working :D

I deleted the old installation and ~/Application Support/audacity files. Did a fresh reinstall and, as expected, Audacity couldn't find any plugins neither load nyquist.

All files in the Audacity app had the xattr com.apple.quarantine set. Even when I told gatekeeper that it should trust Audacity, it wont allow audacity to read nyquist and plugin folders. I tried to remove that extended attribute running:

Code: Select all
 xattr -r -d com.apple.quarantine /Applications/Audacity/

And now Audacity is working like a charm!
icprg

Permanent link to this post Posted by jonatanrullman » Sun Oct 30, 2016 4:47 pm

icprg wrote:All files in the Audacity app had the xattr com.apple.quarantine set. Even when I told gatekeeper that it should trust Audacity, it wont allow audacity to read nyquist and plugin folders. I tried to remove that extended attribute running:

Code: Select all
 xattr -r -d com.apple.quarantine /Applications/Audacity/

And now Audacity is working like a charm!

This worked perfectly for me as well. Definitely a gatekeeper issue.

Thanks, this was driving me crazy.

Cheers
jonatanrullman

Permanent link to this post Posted by jonuk76 » Mon Nov 21, 2016 6:06 pm

Also have the same issues with LADSPA plugins not working on Mac OS 10.12.1 Sierra. The fix posted two posts previous seems to have worked perfectly.
jonuk76

PreviousNext

Return to Mac OS X