Help with Plugins - macOS Sierra

Help for Audacity 2.x.x on Mac OS X.

ImageThis forum is for Audacity 2.x.x on Mac OS X 10.4 and later.
Please state which version of OS X you are using, the exact three-section version of Audacity from Audacity > About Audacity and whether you obtained the .dmg installer or the zip.

Audacity 1.2.x and 1.3.x are obsolete and no longer supported. If you still have those versions, please upgrade at https://www.audacityteam.org/download/.
The old forums for those versions are now closed, but you can still read the archives of the 1.2.x and 1.3.x forums.

Re: Help with Plugins - macOS Sierra

Permanent link to this post Posted by Gale Andrews » Sun Oct 09, 2016 12:27 pm

Rutheday wrote:I have attached the support file.

Thanks, but there is not anything in it that explains why there is a problem.

I see that an entry like this which should be there:
Code: Select all
[pluginregistry/Module/base64\:TW9kdWxlX19UaGUgQXVkYWNpdHkgVGVhbV9OeXF1aXN0IEVmZmVjdHNf]
Path=
Symbol=Nyquist Effects
Name=Nyquist Effects
Version=1.0.0.0
Vendor=The Audacity Team
Description=Provides Nyquist Effects support to Audacity
ProviderID=
Enabled=1
Valid=1

is missing.

However support for the other plugin formats is listed there, so presumably poseidan would be able to use the LADSPA Hard Limiter.


Gale
________________________________________FOR INSTANT HELP: (Click on Link below)
* * * * * Tips * * * * * Tutorials * * * * * Quick Start Guide * * * * * Audacity Manual
Gale Andrews
Quality Assurance
 
Posts: 26089
Joined: Fri Jul 27, 2007 12:02 am
Operating System: Windows 10

Re: Help with Plugins - macOS Sierra

Permanent link to this post Posted by Gale Andrews » Sun Oct 09, 2016 2:01 pm

The next thing both of you could try is to see if the 2.1.3-alpha Nightly Build has the same issue: http://www.audacity.homerow.net/index.php?dir=mac/audacity-nightly-2016.10.07-06.00-2add979/&file=audacity-macosx-2.1.3-2add979.zip.

Be sure to quit 2.1.2 before running 2.1.3-alpha.

If that does not help, then open Applications > Utilities > Terminal.app. Drag the 2.1.3-alpha Audacity.app into the Terminal window. Copy the below text:
Code: Select all
/Contents/MacOS/Audacity

then in the Terminal, LEFT arrow once to move the cursor to the end of the path of Audacity, then COMMAND + V to paste the above text.

Or you can right-click or CONTROL-click over Audacity.app, click "Show Package Contents", expand the "Contents" and "MacOS" folders then drag "Audacity" from the "MacOS" folder into the Terminal.

Hit ENTER in the Terminal to launch Audacity and you may see some messages in the Terminal. Either copy and paste the messages from the Terminal to your reply, or in the Terminal's Menu Bar, use Shell > Export Text As... to save the Terminal output to a text file.


Gale
________________________________________FOR INSTANT HELP: (Click on Link below)
* * * * * Tips * * * * * Tutorials * * * * * Quick Start Guide * * * * * Audacity Manual
Gale Andrews
Quality Assurance
 
Posts: 26089
Joined: Fri Jul 27, 2007 12:02 am
Operating System: Windows 10

Re: Help with Plugins - macOS Sierra

Permanent link to this post Posted by Rutheday » Sun Oct 09, 2016 5:48 pm

Hi,

Replaced 2.1.2 with 2.1.3, same issue..I'll try the terminal thing no..


Thankyou for your help with this.

R
Rutheday
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2016 5:42 pm
Operating System: OS X 10.11 El Capitan or later (macOS)

Re: Help with Plugins - macOS Sierra

Permanent link to this post Posted by Rutheday » Sun Oct 09, 2016 5:52 pm

No text in terminal I'm afraid. Cursor just moves to the second line.

I could still pull reports out of Console if you give me a hint of what I should look for!

R
Rutheday
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2016 5:42 pm
Operating System: OS X 10.11 El Capitan or later (macOS)

Re: Help with Plugins - macOS Sierra

Permanent link to this post Posted by Rutheday » Sun Oct 09, 2016 5:59 pm

The Plug-ins are there!

opening audacity 2.1.3 from terminal somehow forces the plug-ins to be read!

I then quit Audacity, opened from the Applications folder and the plug-ins were gone again. Returning to Terminal and opening from there includes the plug-ins again.

Thankyou...a bit weird I guess... but it works. Would be nice if I didn't have to go through Terminal, but it's not the most difficult work around I've ever heard of!

cheers

R
Rutheday
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2016 5:42 pm
Operating System: OS X 10.11 El Capitan or later (macOS)

Re: Help with Plugins - macOS Sierra

Permanent link to this post Posted by Gale Andrews » Sun Oct 09, 2016 11:30 pm

Rutheday wrote:The Plug-ins are there!

opening audacity 2.1.3 from terminal somehow forces the plug-ins to be read!

I then quit Audacity, opened from the Applications folder and the plug-ins were gone again. Returning to Terminal and opening from there includes the plug-ins again.

This sounds a bit like issues one or two users have had getting Audacity to launch on El Capitan, which could be resolved by executing "Audacity" from the MacOS folder in the application bundle.

I don't know what messages might be in the Console when the plugins don't load. It could be something to do with plist files or there may not be any messages.

However another user who did not have Generate > Click Track (another Nyquist plugin) said the plugins appeared when restarting (I assume) the Mac: http://forum.audacityteam.org/viewtopic.php?p=314692#p314692. Definitely try that in case it saves opening Audacity by the Terminal every time. If restarting helps, perhaps Mac is not updating something immediately.

You can actually launch the Audacity executable in the Contents/MacOS/ folder an easier way - right-click or CONTROL-click over it, then choose Open With > Terminal.app, or even just double-click the executable. The Terminal will open then Audacity will launch. The only downside to this method is that after you quit Audacity in Audacity itself, you can't use the terminal for any other input, all you can do is quit it. Next time you use the Terminal to launch Audacity, you can just use UP arrow to show the last used command, then ENTER.


Gale
________________________________________FOR INSTANT HELP: (Click on Link below)
* * * * * Tips * * * * * Tutorials * * * * * Quick Start Guide * * * * * Audacity Manual
Gale Andrews
Quality Assurance
 
Posts: 26089
Joined: Fri Jul 27, 2007 12:02 am
Operating System: Windows 10

Re: Help with Plugins - macOS Sierra

Permanent link to this post Posted by poseidan » Mon Oct 10, 2016 3:14 am

Gale Andrews wrote:
poseidan wrote:Are the plugins registry and plugins settings at the Support Data meant to be unchecked / unticked?

Put a checkmark by all the items. Any items that are unchecked are not included in the report.


Gale


Thanks Gale. They are all ticked. The plugins are still undetected....

Anyone with any solutions? Nothing seems to work after a clean install....
poseidan
 
Posts: 7
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2016 3:43 am
Operating System: OS X 10.11 El Capitan or later (macOS)

Re: Help with Plugins - macOS Sierra

Permanent link to this post Posted by poseidan » Mon Oct 10, 2016 7:01 am

Gale Andrews wrote:The next thing both of you could try is to see if the 2.1.3-alpha Nightly Build has the same issue: http://www.audacity.homerow.net/index.php?dir=mac/audacity-nightly-2016.10.07-06.00-2add979/&file=audacity-macosx-2.1.3-2add979.zip.

Be sure to quit 2.1.2 before running 2.1.3-alpha.

If that does not help, then open Applications > Utilities > Terminal.app. Drag the 2.1.3-alpha Audacity.app into the Terminal window. Copy the below text:
Code: Select all
/Contents/MacOS/Audacity

then in the Terminal, LEFT arrow once to move the cursor to the end of the path of Audacity, then COMMAND + V to paste the above text.

Or you can right-click or CONTROL-click over Audacity.app, click "Show Package Contents", expand the "Contents" and "MacOS" folders then drag "Audacity" from the "MacOS" folder into the Terminal.

Hit ENTER in the Terminal to launch Audacity and you may see some messages in the Terminal. Either copy and paste the messages from the Terminal to your reply, or in the Terminal's Menu Bar, use Shell > Export Text As... to save the Terminal output to a text file.


Gale


Thanks, the Terminal method works with 2.1.2. I am currently downloading 2.1.3 but I might not install it because it works now. This means Terminal needs to remain open while I use Audacity, yes?

Thanks anyway, Gale. Much appreciated!
poseidan
 
Posts: 7
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2016 3:43 am
Operating System: OS X 10.11 El Capitan or later (macOS)

Re: Help with Plugins - macOS Sierra

Permanent link to this post Posted by Gale Andrews » Mon Oct 10, 2016 1:15 pm

poseidan wrote:
Gale Andrews wrote:
poseidan wrote:Are the plugins registry and plugins settings at the Support Data meant to be unchecked / unticked?

Put a checkmark by all the items. Any items that are unchecked are not included in the report.


Gale

They are all ticked. The plugins are still undetected

Help > Generate Support Data... is for generating a ZIP file containing diagnostic information. It does not turn plugin detection on or off.

Gale
________________________________________FOR INSTANT HELP: (Click on Link below)
* * * * * Tips * * * * * Tutorials * * * * * Quick Start Guide * * * * * Audacity Manual
Gale Andrews
Quality Assurance
 
Posts: 26089
Joined: Fri Jul 27, 2007 12:02 am
Operating System: Windows 10

Re: Help with Plugins - macOS Sierra

Permanent link to this post Posted by Gale Andrews » Mon Oct 10, 2016 1:20 pm

poseidan wrote:
Gale Andrews wrote:The next thing both of you could try is to see if the 2.1.3-alpha Nightly Build has the same issue: http://www.audacity.homerow.net/index.php?dir=mac/audacity-nightly-2016.10.07-06.00-2add979/&file=audacity-macosx-2.1.3-2add979.zip.

Be sure to quit 2.1.2 before running 2.1.3-alpha.

If that does not help, then open Applications > Utilities > Terminal.app. Drag the 2.1.3-alpha Audacity.app into the Terminal window. Copy the below text:
Code: Select all
/Contents/MacOS/Audacity

then in the Terminal, LEFT arrow once to move the cursor to the end of the path of Audacity, then COMMAND + V to paste the above text.

Or you can right-click or CONTROL-click over Audacity.app, click "Show Package Contents", expand the "Contents" and "MacOS" folders then drag "Audacity" from the "MacOS" folder into the Terminal.

Hit ENTER in the Terminal to launch Audacity and you may see some messages in the Terminal. Either copy and paste the messages from the Terminal to your reply, or in the Terminal's Menu Bar, use Shell > Export Text As... to save the Terminal output to a text file.

Thanks, the Terminal method works with 2.1.2. I am currently downloading 2.1.3 but I might not install it because it works now. This means Terminal needs to remain open while I use Audacity, yes?

Yes. Quitting Terminal will force quit Audacity, so leave the Terminal open until you have quit Audacity normally from within Audacity.

Also please just try rebooting and let us know if that avoids having to use the Terminal. We don't want to have to provide instructions how to use the Terminal for less able users, unless we have to.


Gale
________________________________________FOR INSTANT HELP: (Click on Link below)
* * * * * Tips * * * * * Tutorials * * * * * Quick Start Guide * * * * * Audacity Manual
Gale Andrews
Quality Assurance
 
Posts: 26089
Joined: Fri Jul 27, 2007 12:02 am
Operating System: Windows 10

PreviousNext

Return to Mac OS X



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests