FFmpeg Problems

I was trying to export an entire album’s worth of files through FFmpeg, and I noticed the following problems:

1. I was using export multiple, and when it came to a track entitled “Rosalie/Cowgirl Song (Live)”, it just stopped and gave me an error message (I think the code was -2). I’m guessing it was the slash in the title; the previous track was entitled “Dancin’ In The Moonlight (It’s Caught Me In Its Spotlight)”, and it exported just fine.
  2. When using FFmpeg to export individual tracks (in this case between labels), it goes VERY slowly (suffice to say it was estimating that an approximately 4-minute track would take 7-8 minutes to export).
  3. When using export multiple, the entire progress box just disappears when it comes to the track with the cursor in it (the track is still exported and the progress box is there as usual for the rest of the tracks).

Please, when reporting possible issues, tell us which version of Audacity you are using (all three numbers as per the pink panel at the top of the page).

Thanks, but the problem with slash being wrongly rejected is already noted in the 2.1.2 Release Notes.

Even if the slash was allowed, such a file would not be usable on Windows and Linux computers.

Are you exporting multiple by tracks or labels?

Using Audacity 2.1.2 and export multiple by tracks on El Capitan, I sometimes see the export dialogue for one or more of the files does not appear. It does not depend for me on whether any of the tracks are selected or not.

I don’t see the problem in 2.1.1.

Gale

I’m using 2.1.2, and I’m doing export multiple by labels.

To make the problem happen for you, do you mean that the label is open with the cursor blinking in it, or something else?

Did this happen in versions of Audacity before 2.1.2?

Gale

No, I mean the cursor is in the audio track between label 1 and label 2 and when export multiple is exporting the label 1 track, the progress bar simply doesn’t appear. This has never happened to me before.

I did export multiple by labels for a different album, and I don’t think the problem with the progress box not appearing is that the cursor is in the track; the cursor was at the beginning of track 18 or 19, for which the progress box did appear, and if I recall correctly, it nevertheless simply didn’t appear for tracks 4, 5, and 6.

I think it is totally random which progress dialogues appear or don’t.

Gale

Problem #3 (the progress box not appearing) has been mostly fixed in 2.1.3, but after the first track, it appears behind the main window for some reason, and when I went into Exposé to get to it one time, it just wouldn’t let me.

I see that my most recent complaint is noted in the release notes, but now the confirmation box isn’t appearing, has it been removed, or is it a bug?

Thanks for the report. I’ll look into it.
– Bill

The lack of the confirmation dialog at the end of export multiple is a new bug. Thanks for reporting it.
– Bill

I’m sorry to have to keep harping on this, but in 2.2.2 on OS X 10.10.5, the progress window simply disappears when you’re going to Audacity from a different window and it doesn’t immediately come to the front of the screen.

Only if you click on the progress window itself, it turns out.

Has no one been able to reproduce it, or do you not care about Yosemite anymore, or what?