FFmpeg Problems

Help for Audacity 2.x.x on Mac OS X.

ImageThis forum is for Audacity 2.x.x on Mac OS X 10.4 and later.
Please state which version of OS X you are using, the exact three-section version of Audacity from Audacity > About Audacity and whether you obtained the .dmg installer or the zip.

Audacity 1.2.x and 1.3.x are obsolete and no longer supported. If you still have those versions, please upgrade at https://www.audacityteam.org/download/.
The old forums for those versions are now closed, but you can still read the archives of the 1.2.x and 1.3.x forums.

FFmpeg Problems

Permanent link to this post Posted by chrzaszcz » Wed Mar 02, 2016 3:03 pm

I was trying to export an entire album's worth of files through FFmpeg, and I noticed the following problems:

1) I was using export multiple, and when it came to a track entitled "Rosalie/Cowgirl Song (Live)", it just stopped and gave me an error message (I think the code was -2). I'm guessing it was the slash in the title; the previous track was entitled "Dancin' In The Moonlight (It's Caught Me In Its Spotlight)", and it exported just fine.
2) When using FFmpeg to export individual tracks (in this case between labels), it goes VERY slowly (suffice to say it was estimating that an approximately 4-minute track would take 7-8 minutes to export).
3) When using export multiple, the entire progress box just disappears when it comes to the track with the cursor in it (the track is still exported and the progress box is there as usual for the rest of the tracks).
chrzaszcz

Operating System: OS X 10.10 Yosemite

Re: FFmpeg Problems

Permanent link to this post Posted by Gale Andrews » Wed Mar 02, 2016 4:45 pm

Please, when reporting possible issues, tell us which version of Audacity you are using (all three numbers as per the pink panel at the top of the page).

chrzaszcz wrote:I was trying to export an entire album's worth of files through FFmpeg, and I noticed the following problems:

1) I was using export multiple, and when it came to a track entitled "Rosalie/Cowgirl Song (Live)", it just stopped and gave me an error message (I think the code was -2). I'm guessing it was the slash in the title; the previous track was entitled "Dancin' In The Moonlight (It's Caught Me In Its Spotlight)", and it exported just fine.

Thanks, but the problem with slash being wrongly rejected is already noted in the 2.1.2 Release Notes.

Even if the slash was allowed, such a file would not be usable on Windows and Linux computers.

chrzaszcz wrote:3) When using export multiple, the entire progress box just disappears when it comes to the track with the cursor in it (the track is still exported and the progress box is there as usual for the rest of the tracks).

Are you exporting multiple by tracks or labels?

Using Audacity 2.1.2 and export multiple by tracks on El Capitan, I sometimes see the export dialogue for one or more of the files does not appear. It does not depend for me on whether any of the tracks are selected or not.

I don't see the problem in 2.1.1.

Gale
________________________________________FOR INSTANT HELP: (Click on Link below)
* * * * * Tips * * * * * Tutorials * * * * * Quick Start Guide * * * * * Audacity Manual
Gale Andrews
Quality Assurance

Operating System: Windows 10

Permanent link to this post Posted by chrzaszcz » Wed Mar 02, 2016 11:35 pm

I'm using 2.1.2, and I'm doing export multiple by labels.
chrzaszcz

Permanent link to this post Posted by Gale Andrews » Thu Mar 03, 2016 12:33 pm

chrzaszcz wrote:I'm using 2.1.2, and I'm doing export multiple by labels.

To make the problem happen for you, do you mean that the label is open with the cursor blinking in it, or something else?

Did this happen in versions of Audacity before 2.1.2?

Gale
* * * * * Tips * * * * * Tutorials * * * * * Quick Start Guide * * * * * Audacity Manual
Gale Andrews
Quality Assurance

Permanent link to this post Posted by chrzaszcz » Thu Mar 03, 2016 2:03 pm

No, I mean the cursor is in the audio track between label 1 and label 2 and when export multiple is exporting the label 1 track, the progress bar simply doesn't appear. This has never happened to me before.
chrzaszcz

Permanent link to this post Posted by chrzaszcz » Mon Mar 14, 2016 1:58 pm

I did export multiple by labels for a different album, and I don't think the problem with the progress box not appearing is that the cursor is in the track; the cursor was at the beginning of track 18 or 19, for which the progress box did appear, and if I recall correctly, it nevertheless simply didn't appear for tracks 4, 5, and 6.
chrzaszcz

Permanent link to this post Posted by Gale Andrews » Mon Mar 14, 2016 2:22 pm

I think it is totally random which progress dialogues appear or don't.

Gale
Gale Andrews
Quality Assurance

Permanent link to this post Posted by chrzaszcz » Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:50 pm

Problem #3 (the progress box not appearing) has been mostly fixed in 2.1.3, but after the first track, it appears behind the main window for some reason, and when I went into Exposé to get to it one time, it just wouldn't let me.
chrzaszcz

Permanent link to this post Posted by chrzaszcz » Sat Nov 04, 2017 8:47 pm

I see that my most recent complaint is noted in the release notes, but now the confirmation box isn't appearing, has it been removed, or is it a bug?
chrzaszcz

Permanent link to this post Posted by billw58 » Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:26 pm

Thanks for the report. I'll look into it.
-- Bill
billw58
Forum Staff

Operating System: OS X 10.11 El Capitan or later (macOS)

Next

Return to Mac OS X