Audio noise when trying to record a vinyl record to Audacity

Help for Audacity 2.x.x on Mac OS X.

ImageThis forum is for Audacity 2.x.x on Mac OS X 10.4 and later.
Please state which version of OS X you are using, the exact three-section version of Audacity from Audacity > About Audacity and whether you obtained the .dmg installer or the zip.

Audacity 1.2.x and 1.3.x are obsolete and no longer supported. If you still have those versions, please upgrade at https://www.audacityteam.org/download/.
The old forums for those versions are now closed, but you can still read the archives of the 1.2.x and 1.3.x forums.

Re: Audio noise when trying to record a vinyl record to Auda

Permanent link to this post Posted by blad » Mon May 22, 2017 7:39 pm

A wise response. Thank you! ...and yes the NAD preamp is far superior to the AT 120. Down the pike I may tinker with the "preamp" options but, since I have cleaned up the noise I will proceed as you recommended.
Thanks! I could not have resolved this without your help!
blad

Operating System: OS X 10.11 El Capitan or later (macOS)

Permanent link to this post Posted by blad » Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:29 pm

Gale Andrews wrote:
blad wrote:We SOLVED this using the A method. I would like to explore the possibility of the B method. I am using a NAD 1155 preamp and running 2 NAD 2155 amps utilizing them as mono R&L.

If we were to run the turntable through NAD 1155 preamp, In your opinion, what would any advantage be and how would this be accomplished if I chose B method?

I don't know why you would want to use a standalone preamp unless you regard the preamp in the turntable as inferior to the NAD. That may be a reasonable assumption but everyone hears and responds to sound differently. Ultimately only you can make that decision, in a comparison of methods A and B with the same material.

With B you set the turntable to Phono, as I said. The Audacity settings will be the same as with A.

Setting the Phono switch on the turntable should completely bypass the turntable's phono preamp. So I would not recommend potentially damaging the turntable by taking it apart and removing its phono preamp.

Gale

Hello Gale, This may be somewhat premature but, I got a new Mac Pro that does not have mini jack in. If I'm forced back to the USB (which is now 3.0 but back served as 2.0 because the turntable is 2.0) Does anyone know the best approach to hooking this up to the newer MAC PRO.
blad

Permanent link to this post Posted by waxcylinder » Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:55 pm

blad wrote:Hello Gale ...

I'm sad to have to let you know, but since you last communicated with him Gale has died back in August

WC
________________________________________FOR INSTANT HELP: (Click on Link below)
* * * * * FAQ * * * * * Tutorials * * * * * Audacity Manual * * * * * Audacity Wiki * * * * *
waxcylinder
Forum Staff

Operating System: Windows 10

Permanent link to this post Posted by blad » Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:56 pm

waxcylinder wrote:
blad wrote:Hello Gale ...

I'm sad to have to let you know, but since you last communicated with him Gale has died back in August

WC

I'm so sorry for our loss. I found Gale to be cordial and to the point. I only knew Gale in this forum context but extend my deepest sympathies to all family and friends.
blad

Permanent link to this post Posted by billw58 » Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:48 pm

blad wrote:This may be somewhat premature but, I got a new Mac Pro that does not have mini jack in. If I'm forced back to the USB (which is now 3.0 but back served as 2.0 because the turntable is 2.0) Does anyone know the best approach to hooking this up to the newer MAC PRO.

After reading through this thread, this is what I have gleaned:
1) Using the USB out from the turntable results in inferior sound
2) Using the analog output from the turntable, set to "Line" and going into the (previous) Mac's Line In worked well
3) Using the analog output from the turntable, set to "Phono" and going through a NAD pre-amp and then into the (previous) Mac's Line In also worked well, and was better than #2.

Given that your new Mac Pro does not have a line input, you will need to use an external USB adapter.

Several of us here use the Behringer UCA-222 (for line level signals) or the UFO-202 (switchable line/phono).
Personally, I would not bother with a higher end interface. The frequency response of these inexpensive interfaces is more than adequate, as is the inherent noise level (which will be much lower than the vinyl surface noise).

If my assumptions are correct, I'd say you'd want to use the turntable in phono mode, through the NAD pre-amp, then into an audio/USB interface into the Mac Pro.

-- Bill
billw58
Forum Staff

Permanent link to this post Posted by blad » Sat Dec 09, 2017 5:42 pm

billw58 wrote:
blad wrote:This may be somewhat premature but, I got a new Mac Pro that does not have mini jack in. If I'm forced back to the USB (which is now 3.0 but back served as 2.0 because the turntable is 2.0) Does anyone know the best approach to hooking this up to the newer MAC PRO.

After reading through this thread, this is what I have gleaned:
1) Using the USB out from the turntable results in inferior sound
2) Using the analog output from the turntable, set to "Line" and going into the (previous) Mac's Line In worked well
3) Using the analog output from the turntable, set to "Phono" and going through a NAD pre-amp and then into the (previous) Mac's Line In also worked well, and was better than #2.

Given that your new Mac Pro does not have a line input, you will need to use an external USB adapter.

Several of us here use the Behringer UCA-222 (for line level signals) or the UFO-202 (switchable line/phono).
Personally, I would not bother with a higher end interface. The frequency response of these inexpensive interfaces is more than adequate, as is the inherent noise level (which will be much lower than the vinyl surface noise).

If my assumptions are correct, I'd say you'd want to use the turntable in phono mode, through the NAD pre-amp, then into an audio/USB interface into the Mac Pro.

-- Bill

Thanks for the advice. One question: The at- lp 120usb has a built in pre-amp. Using your recommendation would it be advisable to remove the pre-amp from the turntable?
blad

Permanent link to this post Posted by billw58 » Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:14 pm

blad wrote:Thanks for the advice. One question: The at- lp 120usb has a built in pre-amp. Using your recommendation would it be advisable to remove the pre-amp from the turntable?

No. As stated before, it appears that when the turntable is in "phono" mode, the internal pre-amp is not used. Therefore it should have no affect on the sound quality.
-- Bill
billw58
Forum Staff

Previous

Return to Mac OS X