Audacity not opening cleanly in OSX 10.11.1 Beta-with a CLUE

Help for Audacity 2.x.x on Mac OS X.

ImageThis forum is for Audacity 2.x.x on Mac OS X 10.4 and later.
Please state which version of OS X you are using, the exact three-section version of Audacity from Audacity > About Audacity and whether you obtained the .dmg installer or the zip.

Audacity 1.2.x and 1.3.x are obsolete and no longer supported. If you still have those versions, please upgrade at https://www.audacityteam.org/download/.
The old forums for those versions are now closed, but you can still read the archives of the 1.2.x and 1.3.x forums.

Re: Audacity not opening cleanly in OSX 10.11.1 Beta-with a

Permanent link to this post Posted by Ebonweaver » Sun Nov 27, 2016 4:57 pm

This is a serious issue with either the newer version of Audacity, or in the compatibility considerations with the newer OS versions.
This is NOT due to issues with upgrades, I have reproduced it on a clean 10.11.6 installation. It seems the developers have not used a clean 10.11 install themselves for testing.
The problem is clearly stated in the Console when you try to start the application (by any means be it double click or right click open):

11/27/16 11:26:43.267 AM lsd[487]: LaunchServices: Could not store lsd-identifiers file at /private/var/db/lsd/com.apple.lsdschemes.plist

That is a system location and is protected.

drwxr-xr-x 64 root wheel 2176 Nov 26 04:02 db

Additionally, there is no lsd folder. So whatever call Audacity is making to LaunchServices is simply invalid as the file and folder in question does not exist, and even if it did it's protected so it couldn't be written to. I suspect this is due to changes in the OS that software developers needed to code for in new app versions. It should be noted we run dozens of applications both commercial and freeware in our labs and no other app has a problem and yet this location/file still does not exist that Audacity seems to need. This very much points to Audacity needing to change how it is operating to not use what would seem to be a deprecated system, or implement a system call correctly so the system can make this location if needed.

Until the application is fixed to be compatible with the newer OS, it simply will not work without system modifications that require admin (root) level access. This means in a setting like ours were users only have user rights, not to mention lacking the knowledge to implement this kind of fix, they can't use the software without us doing significant tricks.
Ebonweaver

Operating System: OS X 10.11 El Capitan or later (macOS)

Permanent link to this post Posted by Gale Andrews » Mon Nov 28, 2016 2:50 pm

Please see cyrano's reply: http://forum.audacityteam.org/viewtopic.php?p=313966#p313966. The solution will be included in the FAQ about launching Audacity. But the issue you point to is not frequent.

If you are a developer and wish to suggest an improvement, please send us a Git pull request.

Gale

Ebonweaver wrote:This is a serious issue with either the newer version of Audacity, or in the compatibility considerations with the newer OS versions.
This is NOT due to issues with upgrades, I have reproduced it on a clean 10.11.6 installation. It seems the developers have not used a clean 10.11 install themselves for testing.
The problem is clearly stated in the Console when you try to start the application (by any means be it double click or right click open):

11/27/16 11:26:43.267 AM lsd[487]: LaunchServices: Could not store lsd-identifiers file at /private/var/db/lsd/com.apple.lsdschemes.plist

That is a system location and is protected.

drwxr-xr-x 64 root wheel 2176 Nov 26 04:02 db

Additionally, there is no lsd folder. So whatever call Audacity is making to LaunchServices is simply invalid as the file and folder in question does not exist, and even if it did it's protected so it couldn't be written to. I suspect this is due to changes in the OS that software developers needed to code for in new app versions. It should be noted we run dozens of applications both commercial and freeware in our labs and no other app has a problem and yet this location/file still does not exist that Audacity seems to need. This very much points to Audacity needing to change how it is operating to not use what would seem to be a deprecated system, or implement a system call correctly so the system can make this location if needed.

Until the application is fixed to be compatible with the newer OS, it simply will not work without system modifications that require admin (root) level access. This means in a setting like ours were users only have user rights, not to mention lacking the knowledge to implement this kind of fix, they can't use the software without us doing significant tricks.
________________________________________FOR INSTANT HELP: (Click on Link below)
* * * * * Tips * * * * * Tutorials * * * * * Quick Start Guide * * * * * Audacity Manual
Gale Andrews
Quality Assurance

Operating System: Windows 10

Permanent link to this post Posted by Ebonweaver » Mon Nov 28, 2016 3:33 pm

Gale Andrews wrote:Please see cyrano's reply: http://forum.audacityteam.org/viewtopic.php?p=313966#p313966. The solution will be included in the FAQ about launching Audacity. But the issue you point to is not frequent.

If you are a developer and wish to suggest an improvement, please send us a Git pull request.

Not a developer, just a user and support for university IT. The issue is indeed frequent as it is 100% reproducible. It has nothing to do with an upgrade as previously stated. Fresh installs of 10.11 and 10.10 do not contain the lsd folder you are trying to use, I'm not sure any version of the OS does to be frank. Putting something as high level as making a directory in a hidden root owned location to make your app function is frankly a poor choice of solution, especially since this is an issue with your software. Version 2.0.6 does not have this problem, it runs fine. Version 2.1.1 does not have this problem, it runs fine (does ask for admin as it's an unsigned app, I had given that for 2.0.6 previously on this system I think). Version 2.1.2 does not run at all due to this new requirement of a folder that does not exist. This is nothing short of a fatal defect in the latest version. I don't know what your testbed is, but it's clearly not a standard install of 10.10 or 10.11 if you're not reproducing this with 100% reliability.
Ebonweaver

Permanent link to this post Posted by cyrano » Mon Nov 28, 2016 4:38 pm

It's NOT happening to the vast majority of users. Nor is it limited to Audacity. It happens with other applications too, for a small set of users. Here's an example where Safari has the exact same problem:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/72 ... 0&tstart=0

LaunchServices: Could not store lsd-identifiers file at /private/var/db/lsd/com.apple.lsdschemes.plist

It is possible it is not related to upgrades, even when I only encountered it with machines that had been upgraded and even when doing a clean install fixed it in one case.

The problem is possibly that (at least for the user who started this thread), the Gestalt manager reports a wrong system version. This was a bug with El Capitan that should have been fixed a long time ago. I couldn't catch that one in the wild.

AFAIK the lsd folder at /private/var/db/ should be present in your system. I have no idea why it is missing or why this error is erroneous.

Which Mac are you using exactly?

It seems to happen with the latest Macs (from 2013 on), but unfortunately, I have no system info for these, as Apple has closed their hardware test system. And, again, it doesn't happen to all these machines either.

Did you try an SMC reset?

And FWIW, this bug has been reported on Radar at least a hundred times. So I suppose Apple is looking into it.
cyrano

Operating System: OS X 10.9 Mavericks

Permanent link to this post Posted by Ebonweaver » Mon Nov 28, 2016 5:04 pm

The fact remains that this directory does not exist on any system we have, be it iMac, Macbook Pro, or Mini, spanning 5 years of models. We have not seen failures in any other piece of software (if Safari needed this to run, we'd know, so clearly it does not, and no such errors happen in the Console). We use a LOT of software, Audacity is the ONLY thing that has this issue needing this directory that does not exist. And as I just pointed out, this is the first version of Audacity with this problem. In light of all these points, asserting this is not an issue that needs to be fixed in Audacity just doesn't make sense. If the development team chooses to not correct this problem, I tried to help.
Ebonweaver

Permanent link to this post Posted by Gale Andrews » Mon Nov 28, 2016 5:26 pm

Ebonweaver wrote:
Gale Andrews wrote:Please see cyrano's reply: http://forum.audacityteam.org/viewtopic.php?p=313966#p313966. The solution will be included in the FAQ about launching Audacity. But the issue you point to is not frequent.

Not a developer, just a user and support for university IT. The issue is indeed frequent as it is 100% reproducible. It has nothing to do with an upgrade as previously stated.

Unfortunately, though, this Audacity problem does not happen on all clean installations of El Capitan (no previous OS X, no previous Audacity) and also happens on some upgraded machines.

We can only really test on machines whose "clean installations" are separate partitions or drives. Are your test beds separate machines, strictly one OS per machine?

Gale
* * * * * Tips * * * * * Tutorials * * * * * Quick Start Guide * * * * * Audacity Manual
Gale Andrews
Quality Assurance

Permanent link to this post Posted by Ebonweaver » Mon Nov 28, 2016 5:44 pm

Gale Andrews wrote:We can only really test on machines whose "clean installations" are separate partitions or drives. Are your test beds separate machines, strictly one OS per machine?

I had only been looking at our deployed systems, but I just checked a test box I have that has partitions going back to 10.8. None of the partitions of any version of OS has the lsd directory from 10.8 to 10.11. I don't know what is making that directory for you, but it's not there by default. Perhaps xcode makes it? It's been years since I used xcode, but I know it adds a lot of things not in the base OS.
Last edited by Gale Andrews on Mon Nov 28, 2016 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed quote tags
Ebonweaver

Permanent link to this post Posted by Gale Andrews » Mon Nov 28, 2016 6:44 pm

Ebonweaver wrote:
Gale Andrews wrote:We can only really test on machines whose "clean installations" are separate partitions or drives. Are your test beds separate machines, strictly one OS per machine?

I had only been looking at our deployed systems, but I just checked a test box I have that has partitions going back to 10.8. None of the partitions of any version of OS has the lsd directory from 10.8 to 10.11. I don't know what is making that directory for you, but it's not there by default. Perhaps xcode makes it? It's been years since I used xcode, but I know it adds a lot of things not in the base OS.

I don't have the /private/var/db/lsd/ folder on my 10.10 or 10.12 systems, nor any "com.apple.lsdschemes.plist" files according to the find command run in a terminal on 10.12. I have not seen this error in 2.1.2 when I had El Capitan.

There is some consensus online that it is some kind of El Capitan caching bug (some system file not being updated or deleted).

How have you fixed or worked around the problem on your deployed systems? Does the fix of opening the embedded "Audacity" executable work for you?

Gale
Gale Andrews
Quality Assurance

Permanent link to this post Posted by Ebonweaver » Mon Nov 28, 2016 7:05 pm

Not working around it, sticking with 2.1.1 as that works fine.
Ebonweaver

Permanent link to this post Posted by cyrano » Mon Nov 28, 2016 9:13 pm

Ebonweaver wrote:Audacity is the ONLY thing that has this issue needing this directory that does not exist.

That is simply not true. Just paste the directory path in Google, you'll get thousands of hits...

I don't know what this directory is, or what it's used for. It could also be an erroneous error. But it is an error generated by OSX and not by Audacity.

And since you have several systems showing this behaviour, it should be somewhat simpler to deduce the common factor. I've only seen this kind of error on a couple of systems. And it surfaced with Filemaker Pro, in my case, on a Mac that doesn't have Audacity installed...
cyrano

Operating System: OS X 10.9 Mavericks

PreviousNext

Return to Mac OS X