Converting audio to text

Help for Audacity 2.x.x on Mac OS X.

ImageThis forum is for Audacity 2.x.x on Mac OS X 10.4 and later.
Please state which version of OS X you are using, the exact three-section version of Audacity from Audacity > About Audacity and whether you obtained the .dmg installer or the zip.

Audacity 1.2.x and 1.3.x are obsolete and no longer supported. If you still have those versions, please upgrade at http://www.audacityteam.org/download/.
The old forums for those versions are now closed, but you can still read the archives of the 1.2.x and 1.3.x forums.

Converting audio to text

Permanent link to this post Posted by weismuller » Fri Aug 28, 2015 9:46 am

I'd appreciate your help in the following case:
I want to convert an .mp4 file to text.
Setup:

Audacity: the file is drag+dropped therein. It plays.
Mac IOS setup:
- advanced dictation function is on, microphone is set to Soundflower (2ch), and
- txt is open,
- input mic = internal, output mic = Soundflower.

When I start recording (by pushing fn button twice) right after that I started playing the .mpg4 file -- there is no text writing at all.

At Audacy there is a moving green bar in the output mic lane but there is nothing in the input lane on the top of it.

What should be set in a different way to have the writing done?

Thanks.
weismuller

Operating System: Please select

Re: Converting audio to text

Permanent link to this post Posted by Gale Andrews » Fri Aug 28, 2015 10:45 am

Audacity does not run on iOS. Please give us the necessary Audacity and OS X information from the pink panel at the top of the page.

Mac Dictation is designed to work by talking into a microphone but you can try following http://www.leveluplunch.com/blog/2013/12/30/convert-recorded-audio-text-using-osx-dictation-audacity-soundflower/ if you are not already doing so. I have never done this but it seems you have to start playing the audio in Audacity before pressing Fn twice in the text editor.

There are some reports this process does not work out of the box on Mavericks and Yosemite because Dictation mutes all audio except an active microphone. If so, try the workaround on http://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/92613/use-mac-os-x-dictation-on-a-file.

Gale
________________________________________FOR INSTANT HELP: (Click on Link below)
* * * * * Tips * * * * * Tutorials * * * * * Quick Start Guide * * * * * Audacity Manual
Gale Andrews
Quality Assurance

Operating System: Windows 10

Permanent link to this post Posted by weismuller » Fri Aug 28, 2015 11:33 am

Thanks Gale.

Audacity 2.1.1., OS X 10.10.4
Indeed, I've already tried leveluplunch link. I've done every step accordingly (I hope :-) ), incl. e.g. starting playing the audio in Audacity before pressing Fn twice in the text editor.

Now, I'm going for the second link.

W.
weismuller

Permanent link to this post Posted by weismuller » Fri Aug 28, 2015 12:49 pm

Gale,

I've tried the second link but no result. Any more ideas or hints?

thnx
weismuller

Permanent link to this post Posted by Gale Andrews » Fri Aug 28, 2015 1:01 pm

weismuller wrote:I've tried the second link but no result. Any more ideas or hints?

None, if you are following the instructions in both links correctly. What you are doing is not a supported use of OS X Dictation. Have you asked on the Apple forums about it?

Have you tried playing the audio in QuickTime then putting an external mic by the speakers? Or playing the file on an iPod/IPhone and setting Dictation to record from the internal mic?

Gale
* * * * * Tips * * * * * Tutorials * * * * * Quick Start Guide * * * * * Audacity Manual
Gale Andrews
Quality Assurance

Permanent link to this post Posted by weismuller » Fri Aug 28, 2015 2:59 pm

Yes, I've alraedy talked to Apple support service. No idea...

Also, have tried using an iPhone.

What if I use PC instead of Mac?
I've tried https://www.google.com/intl/en/chrome/demos/speech.html but with no success.
weismuller

Permanent link to this post Posted by Gale Andrews » Fri Aug 28, 2015 3:41 pm

weismuller wrote:have tried using an iPhone

Then obviously it should work, if the audio is playing loud enough that your microphone can hear it.

What type of mic are you using (make and model number)? Or are you using the Mac's internal mic?

Have you got normal Dictation to work (speak some words into your mic and look at the words appearing in the text editor)? If not, that is probably what you want to fix first and Apple should support you with that.

weismuller wrote:What if I use PC instead of Mac?
I've tried https://www.google.com/intl/en/chrome/demos/speech.html but with no success.

It works fitfully for me in Chrome on Windows 7. It does not recognize all the words and there is a variable and sometimes long wait for recognized words to appear.

What file are you trying to turn to speech? Can you not buy the printed book or PDF?

Gale
Gale Andrews
Quality Assurance

Permanent link to this post Posted by dev » Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:13 am

Gale Andrews wrote:There are some reports this process does not work out of the box on Mavericks and Yosemite because Dictation mutes all audio except an active microphone. If so, try the workaround on http://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/92613/use-mac-os-x-dictation-on-a-file.
Gale

audio to text with Audacity/Soundflower/Pages had worked before and stopped, and that did it. There are two terminal commands for Yosemite to disable muting, more at the bottom of the askdifferent post. ran those two and it worked again. I assume that some system update had reintroduced muting. thanks!

also, Pages does a much better job at transcribing than TextEdit.
dev

Return to Mac OS X