Any Plans for a 64-bit Build?

Help for Audacity 2.x.x on Mac OS X.

ImageThis forum is for Audacity 2.x.x on Mac OS X 10.4 and later.
Please state which version of OS X you are using, the exact three-section version of Audacity from Audacity > About Audacity and whether you obtained the .dmg installer or the zip.

Audacity 1.2.x and 1.3.x are obsolete and no longer supported. If you still have those versions, please upgrade at https://www.audacityteam.org/download/.
The old forums for those versions are now closed, but you can still read the archives of the 1.2.x and 1.3.x forums.

Any Plans for a 64-bit Build?

Permanent link to this post Posted by cpsmusic » Mon Dec 01, 2014 10:40 am

Hi,

Are there any plans for a 64-bit version of Audacity?

The reason I'm interested is because I'd like to develop some plugins using LV2 and GTK-OSX however it's a PITA as both of these default to 64-bit on OSX.

Cheers,

Chris
cpsmusic

Operating System: Please select

Re: Any Plans for a 64-bit Build?

Permanent link to this post Posted by steve » Mon Dec 01, 2014 11:20 am

Would you not want 32 bit versions anyway? Why exclude everyone with 32 bit operating systems from using your plugins?
9/10 questions are answered in the FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ)
steve
Site Admin

Operating System: Linux *buntu

Permanent link to this post Posted by cpsmusic » Mon Dec 01, 2014 12:36 pm

steve wrote:Would you not want 32 bit versions anyway? Why exclude everyone with 32 bit operating systems from using your plugins?

Ideally I'd like both! But for getting something happening quickly it's easier to go down the 64-bit path.

I want to develop plugins that are OS and cross-platform. The only real option is LV2. The VST2 SDK is no longer available and VST3 doesn't seem to be well-supported. Vamp plugins only do analysis and don't have a GUI while AUs are OSX only. However LV2 uses waf for builds which is OK but very poorly documented if you want to do anything other than just typing "./waf". Building GTK-OSX is long and quite complicated - in fact, I think by updating recently I've managed to end up with a 64-bit version rather than 32-bit. <end of rant :D >

What I wanted to check was if there was a 64-bit version of Audacity around the corner - if so, I'd probably wait for it (and work on effect algorithms) rather than faff around with build configurations.

Cheers,

Chris
cpsmusic

Operating System: Please select

Permanent link to this post Posted by steve » Mon Dec 01, 2014 12:45 pm

cpsmusic wrote:What I wanted to check was if there was a 64-bit version of Audacity around the corner

No immediate plans that I'm aware of. Certainly not "around the corner" ;)
steve
Site Admin

Permanent link to this post Posted by Gale Andrews » Mon Dec 01, 2014 1:13 pm

I believe Audacity builds on Linux are 64-bit if built on a 64-bit system.

The first prerequisite for a 64-bit Mac build of Audacity would probably be to drop support for OS X 10.4 and 10.5.

64-bit Audacity builds raise the question of 32-bit VST plug-ins, which don't usually work in 64-bit hosts without a bridge (at least on Mac and Windows).

Did you dismiss Nyquist as being too limited, or because only Audacity supports Nyquist?

Gale
________________________________________FOR INSTANT HELP: (Click on Link below)
* * * * * Tips * * * * * Tutorials * * * * * Quick Start Guide * * * * * Audacity Manual
Gale Andrews
Quality Assurance

Operating System: Windows 10

Permanent link to this post Posted by StoicTheGeek » Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:04 pm

Bumping this thread as I notice that Apple have come out and said that High Sierra (10.13) will be the last version of MacOS that supports 32-bit applications "without compromise" (whatever that means).

Are there any plans to make sure Audacity keeps working on the next release of Mac OS? It would be a shame if we lost it from this platform.
StoicTheGeek

Operating System: OS X 10.11 El Capitan or later (macOS)

Permanent link to this post Posted by tmtomh » Sat Sep 30, 2017 2:00 am

StoicTheGeek wrote:Bumping this thread as I notice that Apple have come out and said that High Sierra (10.13) will be the last version of MacOS that supports 32-bit applications "without compromise" (whatever that means).

Are there any plans to make sure Audacity keeps working on the next release of Mac OS? It would be a shame if we lost it from this platform.

Amen to this.
tmtomh

Permanent link to this post Posted by cygnus » Sat Sep 30, 2017 11:16 am

StoicTheGeek wrote:Bumping this thread as I notice that Apple have come out and said that High Sierra (10.13) will be the last version of MacOS that supports 32-bit applications "without compromise" (whatever that means).

I just came to these forums because I read the same and wanted to see if there's a 64bit build.
cygnus

Permanent link to this post Posted by steve » Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:53 am

There are no plans to drop support for MacOS.
steve
Site Admin

Return to Mac OS X