Focusrite Saphire 14. Can't select correct input

Help for Audacity 2.x.x on Mac OS X.

ImageThis forum is for Audacity 2.x.x on Mac OS X 10.4 and later.
Please state which version of OS X you are using, the exact three-section version of Audacity from Audacity > About Audacity and whether you obtained the .dmg installer or the zip.

Audacity 1.2.x and 1.3.x are obsolete and no longer supported. If you still have those versions, please upgrade at http://www.audacityteam.org/download/.
The old forums for those versions are now closed, but you can still read the archives of the 1.2.x and 1.3.x forums.

Re: Focusrite Saphire 14. Can't select correct input

Permanent link to this post Posted by Gale Andrews » Tue May 09, 2017 12:59 pm

Pobinr wrote:If anyone cares to make spdif input mappable to Ch 1&2, I'll pay them £100 via paypal.

We don't do feature request bounties unfortunately. Giermann started work on this several years ago but the work never got finished. You could send him a private message telling him you are interested.

http://forum.audacityteam.org/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=71178.

Gale
________________________________________FOR INSTANT HELP: (Click on Link below)
* * * * * Tips * * * * * Tutorials * * * * * Quick Start Guide * * * * * Audacity Manual
Gale Andrews
Quality Assurance

Operating System: Windows 10

Permanent link to this post Posted by Pobinr » Tue May 09, 2017 1:11 pm

Gale,
thanks for that I'll get in touch with him.

Having said that it won't let me add him into the recipient box !

BTW is there any reason you won't accept financial incentives ?
Pobinr

Operating System: Please select

Permanent link to this post Posted by Gale Andrews » Tue May 09, 2017 1:52 pm

Pobinr wrote:I'll get in touch with him.

Having said that it won't let me add him into the recipient box !

Logged in as a registered user like you, I can add Giermann as a recipient in a Private Message.

Have you tried going to http://forum.audacityteam.org/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=71178 then under the name "Giermann" on the right, clicking the "PM" icon? This should add Giermann as recipient automatically.

Gale
* * * * * Tips * * * * * Tutorials * * * * * Quick Start Guide * * * * * Audacity Manual
Gale Andrews
Quality Assurance

Permanent link to this post Posted by Pobinr » Tue May 09, 2017 2:12 pm

Tried all that. Doesn't work
repipient box remains empty
Pobinr

Permanent link to this post Posted by Gale Andrews » Wed May 10, 2017 12:48 pm

Pobinr wrote:Tried all that. Doesn't work
repipient box remains empty

You can search online for how to use phpBB Forum Private Messaging.

Or register with Nabble, search http://audacity.238276.n2.nabble.com/audacity-devel-f238278.html for Sven Giermann then I think if you click his name you can e-mail him through Nabble. Doing that without an account will probably prompt you to register, so you can register that way.

Gale
Gale Andrews
Quality Assurance

Permanent link to this post Posted by Pobinr » Sun May 21, 2017 9:56 pm

Thanks Gale but I don't want this geeky stuff. I just want to play & record guitar using audacity. This has gone on too long. Now I've got to mess around trying to get in touch with someone & even that's not straight forward !
I'm leaving this.
Thanks for your assistance anyway.
Pobinr

Permanent link to this post Posted by cyrano » Mon May 22, 2017 3:57 pm

If you are on a Macbook Pro 15", it has a direct spdif input. Optical only. So check your Mac manual :-)

13" MB Pro has only output. Most other Macs have optical in and output. You will need an odd Apple cable, from 3,5 mm jack to optical spdif. These are 3$ or so, unless you buy from Apple, of course. 8-)

Or tell us which Mac you use exactly, like "a mid 2010 iMac 27".

And yes, that Amazon link changed in between. Lemme see if I can find a spdif to USB input on a more reputable site :lol:

There's at least the MiniDSP one, which doubles as ADAT interface, so it can do eight channels too.

https://www.minidsp.com/products/usb-au ... reamer-box

This one is the best one I know (sturdy build, good support etc.), but it is 105$...

Internal optical on your Mac is 'free', and the exact same quality.
cyrano

Operating System: OS X 10.9 Mavericks

Permanent link to this post Posted by Gale Andrews » Mon May 22, 2017 5:08 pm

Pobinr wrote:Thanks Gale but I don't want this geeky stuff. I just want to play & record guitar using audacity. This has gone on too long.

Audacity is a free application and we are very short of volunteer developers. You can't expect everyone to drop everything to implement a feature that you personally would like. Bounties won't help, given the shortage.

Of course if you are offering to fund the work at commercial rates then that is another question. Let us know if that is the case.

If I was in your position I would write an Automator script to close the redundant tracks on pressing Stop.

Pobinr wrote: Now I've got to mess around trying to get in touch with someone & even that's not straight forward !

If you want the feature without funding us commercially for it, your best chance is to contact Sven Giermann.

Gale
Gale Andrews
Quality Assurance

Permanent link to this post Posted by Pobinr » Thu May 25, 2017 10:19 pm

Gale
What's the difference between a bounty & commercial funding ?

cyrano
See screenshot of my Mac spec
My Kemper has phono SPDIF out, no optical out.
The problem lies with the fact that my Focusrite Saffire pro 14 sends SPDIF to Ch 5&6. Analogue to 1&2 or 3&4.
Not sure how optical usb leads could solve this. It would still be a digital input.
All other manufactures of sound cards also use the last available slot or stream for digital.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2017-05-26 at 00.12.57.png
Screen Shot 2017-05-26 at 00.12.57.png (24.24 KiB) Viewed 22 times
Pobinr

Permanent link to this post Posted by Gale Andrews » Fri May 26, 2017 12:55 pm

Pobinr wrote:What's the difference between a bounty & commercial funding ?

A typical bounty is $10 with others offering similar amounts. Not commercial. An hour of work might get funded that way.

Commercial means you pay $130 per hour of work involved or whatever rate agreed with the developer.

Here is your Mac https://support.apple.com/kb/sp667?locale=en_GB. So no explicit optical in, just Thunderbolt, which I "think" could be optical with an optical cable. Cyrano knows more than I about this. I think the point is that if the Mac sees an audio device connected to optical in or Thunderbolt, it will only be two channels, and that is all Audacity will record.

Gale
Gale Andrews
Quality Assurance

PreviousNext

Return to Mac OS X