Focusrite Saphire 14. Can't select correct input

Help for Audacity 2.x.x on Mac OS X.

ImageThis forum is for Audacity 2.x.x on Mac OS X 10.4 and later.
Please state which version of OS X you are using, the exact three-section version of Audacity from Audacity > About Audacity and whether you obtained the .dmg installer or the zip.

Audacity 1.2.x and 1.3.x are obsolete and no longer supported. If you still have those versions, please upgrade at https://www.audacityteam.org/download/.
The old forums for those versions are now closed, but you can still read the archives of the 1.2.x and 1.3.x forums.

Re: Focusrite Saphire 14. Can't select correct input

Permanent link to this post Posted by steve » Wed Apr 05, 2017 12:26 pm

Gale Andrews wrote:Also did you try Soundflower?

I don't see any way to route individual channels in the most recent version of Soundflower. "Soundflowerbed" is no longer part of Soundflower, so the only configuration I can find is the normal Mac Audio and Midi setup.
9/10 questions are answered in the FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ)
steve
Senior Forum Staff

Operating System: Linux *buntu

Permanent link to this post Posted by Pobinr » Wed Apr 05, 2017 12:27 pm

I'm puzzled as to why on Garageband spdif is on Ch 1&2.

So is it audacity that makes spdif Ch 5&6 on audacity, or the my Focusrite saffire pro that does so ?

Does anyone make a sound card with spdif going to ch 1&2 with audacity ?
Pobinr

Operating System: Please select

Permanent link to this post Posted by Gale Andrews » Wed Apr 05, 2017 12:56 pm

steve wrote:
Gale Andrews wrote:Also did you try Soundflower?

I don't see any way to route individual channels in the most recent version of Soundflower. "Soundflowerbed" is no longer part of Soundflower, so the only configuration I can find is the normal Mac Audio and Midi setup.

If it makes any difference, you can still download Soundflowerbed separately http://forum.audacityteam.org/download/file.php?id=14089.

Gale
________________________________________FOR INSTANT HELP: (Click on Link below)
* * * * * Tips * * * * * Tutorials * * * * * Quick Start Guide * * * * * Audacity Manual
Gale Andrews
Quality Assurance

Operating System: Windows 10

Permanent link to this post Posted by Gale Andrews » Wed Apr 05, 2017 1:05 pm

Pobinr wrote:I'm puzzled as to why on Garageband spdif is on Ch 1&2.

So is it audacity that makes spdif Ch 5&6 on audacity, or the my Focusrite saffire pro that does so ?

From the image you posted, Audio MIDI Setup itself sees S/PDIF as channels 5 and 6. That is probably why Steve thinks it is a hopeless case.

You might be able to edit a .plist file somewhere that would change the channel allocations but you would have to ask Focusrite about that. It's risky to do things like that.

Does Garageband let you record channels 1 & 2, 3 & 4, 5 & 6 and so on? If so that is probably the key functionality that lets you record only the channels you want. The numbering may just be a GarageBand quirk that it lists digital inputs first.

Gale
________________________________________FOR INSTANT HELP: (Click on Link below)
* * * * * Tips * * * * * Tutorials * * * * * Quick Start Guide * * * * * Audacity Manual
Gale Andrews
Quality Assurance

Operating System: Windows 10

Permanent link to this post Posted by steve » Wed Apr 05, 2017 1:24 pm

Gale Andrews wrote:From the image you posted, Audio MIDI Setup itself sees S/PDIF as channels 5 and 6. That is probably why Steve thinks it is a hopeless case.

Yes.

@Pobinr
Did you ever tell us what exactly you're trying to do? You started off asking about recording a "guitar sound", but I guess you're not trying to record an actual guitar - so what are you trying to do?
steve
Senior Forum Staff

Permanent link to this post Posted by steve » Wed Apr 05, 2017 2:28 pm

Gale Andrews wrote:f it makes any difference, you can still download Soundflowerbed separately

Thanks Gale, just tried it. It's a bit prone to crashing on Sierra, and it doesn't help with this problem, but could be a useful little app for other purposes.
steve
Senior Forum Staff

Permanent link to this post Posted by Pobinr » Wed Apr 05, 2017 3:50 pm

steve wrote:
Gale Andrews wrote:From the image you posted, Audio MIDI Setup itself sees S/PDIF as channels 5 and 6. That is probably why Steve thinks it is a hopeless case.

Yes.

@Pobinr
Did you ever tell us what exactly you're trying to do? You started off asking about recording a "guitar sound", but I guess you're not trying to record an actual guitar - so what are you trying to do?

I record guitar from SPDIF out on this > https://www.kemper-amps.com/
Pobinr

Permanent link to this post Posted by Pobinr » Wed Apr 05, 2017 4:00 pm

Gale Andrews wrote:
Pobinr wrote:I'm puzzled as to why on Garageband spdif is on Ch 1&2.

From the image you posted, Audio MIDI Setup itself sees S/PDIF as channels 5 and 6. That is probably why Steve thinks it is a hopeless case.

You might be able to edit a .plist file somewhere that would change the channel allocations but you would have to ask Focusrite about that. It's risky to do things like that.

Does Garageband let you record channels 1 & 2, 3 & 4, 5 & 6 and so on? If so that is probably the key functionality that lets you record only the channels you want. The numbering may just be a GarageBand quirk that it lists digital inputs first.

Gale

Yes with Garageband using my Kemper spdif out, I just click on any track to highlight it, then click record & it records on that track.
With audacity 6 tracks open as default with spdif on 5 & 6

I can delete tracks 1 to 4 in audacity. But as soon as I click on 'record' then 6 new tracks open up with the spdif being the ones on the bottom.
Ref ''edit a .plist file'' I'm not that smart. Wouldn't have a clue what I was doing ;-)
Pobinr

Permanent link to this post Posted by steve » Wed Apr 05, 2017 4:20 pm

A couple of good, viable options which don't require hacking your computer sound system:
1) Record from the analog out of the Kemper (I'd go for this option)
2) Record in Garagband, then save as WAV, and edit in Audacity.
steve
Senior Forum Staff

Permanent link to this post Posted by Pobinr » Wed Apr 05, 2017 4:33 pm

Thanks your reply
1] Analogue would lose quality as it involves going from D to A & back to D again.
2]Yes I thought about copying to audacity as WAVs too.
Because Audacity is so good ergonomically for editing WAV's. Much prefer it to Garageband.
But I'm still puzzled as to whether it's Audacity that sticks the spdif in 5 & 6 or the focusrite ?
As I'd still like to get round this problem if possible.
If it's down to the focusrite then maybe another make of card would be the solution
Pobinr

PreviousNext

Return to Mac OS X