Playhead won't move past initial stutter ???

MobilePre 1.1.2
Audacity 2.0.2
OS 10.8.2

This is very strange, and very consistent: In choosing either PLAY or RECORD, the playhead begins to “stutter” at the beginning of the track, but will not move forward. ??? Consquently, I can neither play nor record. Help???

Donald

Unplug the Mobile Pre. Restart Audacity. Can you make a normal recording from Built-In Microphone or Built-In Input?

Doesn’t have to be any sound there. We’re just looking for Audacity to not get stuck. It’s possible to get Audacity installed in such a way that it can’t find its cache folders.

Koz

Thanks Koz - I tried that, and yes, it worked fine with the Mobile Pre unplugged.
Figuring it was an issue with Mountain Lion – as it never did this before I upgraded from Snow Leopard –I installed the up-to-date driver for the Mobile Pre, but still no difference. So I’m now thinking it’s hardware incompatibility between this 7 year-old MobilePre and my month-old Macbook Air. Would you concur?

I’m now thinking it’s hardware incompatibility between this 7 year-old MobilePre and my month-old Macbook Air. Would you concur?

No, or not necessarily. I guess you could have a fight between UBS2 and USB3. Does the Air have real USB connections, or are they shared with something else? The Air took a lot of shortcuts to cram all that technology into a small box. I recently bought a full-on MacBook Pro 15" because I couldn’t conceive of not having all my inputs and outputs. I use it for production and trouble-shooting, so it’s not a casual computer.

How old are the cables between the MobilePre and the Air? Has the cat been laying on them?

Koz

Is there any way you can plug the MobilePre into anything else? Koz

Real USB connections… not sure what that means. There are 2 USB-3 ports rated at “Up to 3Gbps” . According to the on-board hardware analysis, one is Hi-Speed and one is Super Hi-Speed. Is that real, or shared?

The MobilePre works just fine plugged into my 4-year old MacBook Pro.