Can't Get Core Function Pointer!

Hello all,

I have read on the board here about this problem I’m posting about and I’ve attempted the resolutions given, but I still can’t get my Audacity to work. It used to work before I installed a certain plug in but I’m not sure which one is causing the problem, and to be honest, at this point I don’t care. The reason I say this is because I’m not going to be using the plugins through Audacity, I use Logic Pro 9 on the Mac and there’s no problems with any plugin.
Now one of the resolutions I read about was to go into preferences and disable the plugins, Simple enough, but the problem is, my Audacity doesn’t start at all! It gets to a certain stage, then say “Can’t get core function pointer” and closes.

So what I’m asking is, is there a way to disable the plugins entirely before the program starts?

Side note: I’m running Windows 7 via BootCamp and Audacity loads no problem. I figure it’s because it doesn’t scan my plugins that are installed on the mac.
I’m running OSX Lion - 10.7.4

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks so much,

-Alex

We warn people not to dump bushel baskets of effects & plugins into Audacity “just because you can.”

If you did a relatively plain install of Audacity, Go > Applications > Audacity > Plugins. Take the effects in that folder and trash them, or make them so Audacity can’t find them. Leave the folder.

The Windows and Mac installs should be completely different. They will not share each others’ effects and plugins.

Koz

Hey Koz,

Thanks for getting back to me so quick. I tried the solution you suggested but it didn’t work because Audacity kept reading my main external plugins (/library/audio/plug-ins/) folder. HOWEVER, I copied my external plugins folder to my desktop and deleted them from their original place.

I then ran Audacity and it opened normally without the “Can’t get core function pointer” error! So I pretty much did the method you suggested except with my main audio plugin folder. I was then able to disable all Effects via preferences! Success!

Thanks again for reply, it’s much appreciated!

-Alex

You need to edit your audacity.cfg file so that it does not attempt to load VST or Audio Unit plugins at startup.
Instruction are here: http://wiki.audacityteam.org/wiki/User:BillWharrie/Resetting_Preferences_on_Mac

– Bill