editing

I am trying to cut sections out of my audio file. I am using the selection tool, click on where I want to cut and drag to where I want to end cutting. I have tried scissors in editing bar, it does nothing. I have tried using delete key on my keyboard, or going to EDIT Remove audio cut or delete and it deletes everything (the whole file). What am I doing wrong?

If it is deleting everything, then there’s probably something wrong with the way that you are making the selection.
Are you click/dragging on the actual waveform? That’s where you need to click / drag. The selected area should become “highlighted” in a darker shade. This may help: http://manual.audacityteam.org/manual/help/manual/man/audacity_selection.html

You must have the track in STOP and not just in PAUSE in order to do any editing.

I have an extra editing question. Is there any way to slow down the track so I can more easily find the section I want? Sometimes I just want to smooth out an Uh, or a bumbled word and trying to get the cursor right where I want is crazy…it’s past me before I can find it, even watching the counter.

Yes use the Transcription Toolbar - see this page in the manual: Index of /man

WC

Use the Zoom In button to see more detail of the timeline across the window. That will give you more chance of stopping closer to the desired point.