Timer recording of Audacity 2.0.1

Recently I had upgraded 2.0.0 to 2.0.1
Then I had noticed that new version of Audacity 2.0.1 does not accept to set the timer recording start and stop time for the same day each other.
When I was using version 2.0.0 or prior version, in the calendar appears when I click the downward arrow on the right of the stop time, the days before start time are shadowed and the day of the start time is dimmed. But I could set the stop time as the same day, as long as the stop time is later than the start time.
But after I had upgraded Audacity to 2.0.1, though the appearance of the calendar is just as same as before, but Audacity refuses me to set the stop time for the same date as the start time, even if the stop “time” is later.
I had fought with the timer settings for a while but If i try to set so, Audacity automatically set the stop date to 2-3 days future.
As a result, Audacity 2.0.1 force me to record over days as long as I am using the timer recording, i.e. I can not set any timer recording that stops within a day.
Now I returned back to Audacity 2.0.0 and this phenomenon have disappeared.
I have 2 Macs, Intel Mac mini with OSX 10.7.4, and PowerMac G5 with OSX 10.4.11.
This phenomenon is exactly the same for both machines.
Do anyone have the same problem ?
Or should I have any problem in my particular environment or installation ?

Please give an exact example of all the settings you want for start time and date, end time and date and duration and what date it is when you make those settings.

The calendar is probably partially broken but I don’t think that has changed in 2.0.1, and I can change the Start date using the calendar and have the End date change according to the Duration.

If you want the same date for start time and end time, why use the calendar? Just change the time.

Or do you want tomorrow’s date? If so, then instead of using the calendar, click to select the day in the text box for Start, and change day to tomorrow. The day in the End date won’t change automatically due to a bug, but click in the day for End, then it will change. Then when you click OK Audacity will start Timer Record progress and wait for tomorrow before recording.

Gale

This is similar to the behaviour that Koz was writing about recently.

And I too had a similar experience recently wher the TR got it self set to record 2 full days plus the one hour I wanted, which I negelected to notice at setup time so the recording ran for 7 hours before I noticed and stopped it. And it took a bit of bludgeoning to get it to remove the two days, which for a while kept recurrring each time I set up a TR - all sweetness and light though now. And sorry I can’t recall exact steps to either cause or remedy.

_See the section on “Improvements to the time data-entry spinbox controls” in the proposal I wrote on TR improvements: http://wiki.audacityteam.org/wiki/Proposal_Timer_Record_Improvements_

Peter.

Thank you for your comments.
Now, I had returned back to version 2.0.1, for the purpose of looking at the exact behavior on the timer setting, to make a reply to Gale.
But curious to say, I have not encountered this problem this time !!

I think my experience is similar to what Peter had.
At the first time of my 2.0.1 installation, I have tried several way.
set start time then stop time;
set start time then duration;
type date directly;
use calendar to set the date;
just change the time;
type “0” in the date of the duration;
type the same date in the stop date;
In all cases, Audacity automatically had set the stop date to 2-3 days later.

But now, the phenomenon have been disappeared.
I will use 2.0.1 for 2-3 days and report again if I would encounter this problem again.

There is definitely a bug in the timer/calendar function, but I’m not quite sure of the exact steps to reproduce the problem. For now, just be careful with it and check all of the times carefully before you leave it to do an unattended recording. If you discover reproducible steps that cause the problem, please let us know as that will be a big help toward getting the problem fixed.

Thank you for comments. I think have found how to reproduce this problem.
Once I set a Timer recording of across a day, after that, Audacity 2.0.1 will never allows me to set timer recording within a day.
This state can be cleared only after when resetting the audacity.cfg file.
Both my Mac mini with OSX 10.7.4 and PowerMac G5 with OSX 10.4.11 behave the same.
This problem disappeared after when I downgraded Audacity to v2.0.0 for both Lion and Tiger.
I think the behavior of Timer setting window after setting Timer recording of across a day is definitely different between v2.0.0 and v2.0.1 each other.

I’d like to show an example of the process of the problem.

1. Initialize Audacity 2.0.1 (edit audacity.cfg as only one line of “NewPrefsIniialized=1”)

2. Start Audacity 2.0.1

3. Select Timer recording menu

4. Default values In the Timer recording window should be as follows:
    Start date: Today’s date
    Start time: Now
    Stop date: Today’s date
    Stop time: Now + 1 hour
    duration: 00days01h00m00s

5. Click the start date and change the value to tomorrow.

6. Click the end date and it should be changed to tomorrow automatically.

7. Click the start date again and revert the value to today.

8. Click the end date and revert the value to today.

9. Click the dulation value.

Then I can never set the Timer recording that stops within the same day as the start.

Thanks, I don’t need to do 9) to reproduce the problem on Linux and Mac; it fails at step 8. This is not a problem on Windows.

I also agree that locking on the wrong date is not an issue on Mac in 2.0.0 (you cannot edit the tine boxes by clicking in them). I would guess Google Code Archive - Long-term storage for Google Code Project Hosting. could be responsible (making the time format translatable) but I have not tested it.

Steve found another way to reproduce the bug:

1. Open Timer Record
  2. Set the end date to tomorrow using the calendar.
  3. Try and change the time date to get the date back to today

and he found you could unlock the incorrect date by

1. Open Timer Record.
  2. Set the end date to last month using the calendar.
  3. Click “OK”.
  4. Click “Stop”.

That works for me on Mac.

Gale

I have been really struggling with this problem as well, but I have a solution (the other posters solution about changing the month BACKWARDS did not work for me.

Just as someone else wrote, this only occurs if you are are timer-recording stuff “over midnight”… once it’s started, you can’t clear it.

But you CAN! Just set the timer to START tomorrow (whatever day your tomorrow is), and END the tomorrow an hour later.

Then press OKay, and it will start (or it will be set to WAIT to start)

Then press cancel… and now you are back in business, able to set times that are only 1 hour long!

YAY!

Thanks for your input. The problem should be fixed in 2.0.2 in so far as once you change the date with the calendar the timer and date controls should still work in synchronisation.

You still cannot set End Date to tomorrow using the Calendar then set End Date back to today using the Calendar, but you can now adjust the duration to go back to today.

If you would like to test please see http://forum.audacityteam.org/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=67280 .

Gale