new Audacity windows open too high up on the desk top

Audacity 1.3.14
MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.4

When I open the first window in Audacity, whether it’s a new file or reopening an existing file, it opens so the the grab bar and minimize/maximize buttons are covered by menu at the top. This means I can’t move the window. I can resize the window from the bottom corner only.

A second and third Audacity windows open lower down so that I can move and maximize/minimize.

I’ve tried quitting and restarting already.

This crops up every now and then and is probably due to a corrupted settings file.

See this manual page for how to find the audacity.cfg file and edit it: http://manual.audacityteam.org/man/Preferences

Look for the following in the audacity.cfg file (your numbers will be different):

[Window]
Height=628
Maximized=0
Width=979
X=672
Y=258
Normal_X=672
Normal_Y=258
Normal_Width=979
Normal_Height=628
Iconized=0

Delete all of this and save the file. This should reset the window-placement behaviour.

– Bill

Here it is. Window > Zoom should temporarily bring all four edges back.
Koz

The “Zoom” command seemed like the easiest option so I did that first, and it worked. But I figured that the preferences file may also be corrupted, so after a bit more juggling I did that too.

Now, it remains to be seen if the preferences reset will fix so other weird behaviour in the editing commands. Stay tuned for a new thread if not!

Thank you Bill and Koz.

Blair