Duplicate tracks from mono

Help for Audacity 2.x.x on Mac OS X.

ImageThis forum is for Audacity 2.x.x on Mac OS X 10.4 and later.
Please state which version of OS X you are using, the exact three-section version of Audacity from Audacity > About Audacity and whether you obtained the .dmg installer or the zip.

Audacity 1.2.x and 1.3.x are obsolete and no longer supported. If you still have those versions, please upgrade at https://www.audacityteam.org/download/.
The old forums for those versions are now closed, but you can still read the archives of the 1.2.x and 1.3.x forums.

Duplicate tracks from mono

Permanent link to this post Posted by Bernard Stay » Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:00 am

Sorry to be such a wuss, but it's a long time since I used Audacity. My input is a mono mic. I want my recordings to have two identical L/R tracks. How?
Bernard Stay

Operating System: Please select

Re: Duplicate tracks from mono

Permanent link to this post Posted by PGA » Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:35 am

Record the mono track. Then duplicate that track (Edit...Duplicate). Then, from the title bar of the upper of the two identical tracks, "Make Stereo Track".
PGA

Permanent link to this post Posted by Bernard Stay » Sun Mar 18, 2012 3:45 pm

Thanks PGA. That indeed works, but I thought that I could set it to record that way as a matter of course. If I use Amadeus instead it produces two identical tracks straight off (though I don't want to use Amadeus with its limited facilities).
Bernard Stay

Permanent link to this post Posted by PGA » Sun Mar 18, 2012 4:01 pm

What setting do you have in "Edit...Preferences...Devices...Channels"?
PGA

Permanent link to this post Posted by Bernard Stay » Sun Mar 18, 2012 4:15 pm

Thanks. If I have 1-channel (mono) I get 1 track. If I have 2-channel (stereo) I get two tracks but there is only data on one of them. The level monitors at the top show signal only in the LH channel. (?)
Bernard Stay

Permanent link to this post Posted by PGA » Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:21 pm

I think that means that your hardware (probably the mic) is delivering only one channel (i.e. a mono signal). Your only option using what you have would seem to be Duplicate followed by Make Stereo as previously suggested.
PGA

Permanent link to this post Posted by steve » Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:07 am

Bernard Stay wrote: I want my recordings to have two identical L/R tracks. How?

Why do you want 2 identical tracks?
It will sound exactly the same as having one mono track but will take up twice as much disk space.
9/10 questions are answered in the FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ)
steve
Site Admin

Operating System: Linux *buntu

Permanent link to this post Posted by Bernard Stay » Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:23 am

I'm sorry to be a bore on this - but if I use Amadeus 2 I can choose to have two tracks and assign the input for each - in this case assign both track to the mono input channel. The monitor then shows active levels in both tracks and I get what I want (for personal purposes when editing). If I can't do this in Audacity I suggest it is a major disadvantage in what is otherwise a great programme.
Bernard Stay

Permanent link to this post Posted by steve » Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:51 am

Bernard Stay wrote:if I use Amadeus 2

Audacity is not Amadeus 2 so it is reasonable to expect some features to work differently in Audacity.

Audacity records sound from the sound card via the sound card drivers. Some sound cards will deliver a mono signal as 2 identical audio channels, whereas other sound cards will deliver a mono signal as one (mono) audio channel. Which of these two behaviours occur depends on the sound card hardware and the sound card drivers. If the sound card drivers deliver a single channel mono signal (as appears to be the case on your computer), then that is exactly what Audacity will record.

Interestingly, professional level audio devices will invariably deliver mono as a single channel. 2 channel mono generally only occurs with some low quality consumer level equipment.

Bernard Stay wrote:If I can't do this in Audacity I suggest it is a major disadvantage

I disagree because recording duplicate data would be a very inefficient method of working. I would also be suspicious of a recording application that modified the audio data before recording it. Audacity records the data that is sent to it.

If you really need 2 channel mono (and there are occasions when 2 channel mono is required) then it is a very simple matter to convert a true mono track into a 2 channel mono track. One of the quickest ways to do this is to duplicate the track (select the track then Command+D), then select "Make Stereo Track" from the track drop down menu of the top copy. However in most cases this would not be desirable because it reduces the number of tracks that will fit on the screen, it slows down processing (because there is twice as much data to process), it reduces system performance and it uses twice as much disk space.
9/10 questions are answered in the FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ)
steve
Site Admin

Operating System: Linux *buntu

Permanent link to this post Posted by Bernard Stay » Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:31 am

Thank you everybody. I accept what you say. However - for whatever reason - I still find twin track mono recordings sound significantly better than one track, and I'm not really concerned about file size especially as files compressed to Apple lossless still sound that good.
Bernard Stay

Next

Return to Mac OS X