Audacity has quit unexpectedly.

This happens every time I quit Audacity correctly. I have an iMac 2.8 GHz Intel core i7, OS 10.6.8, 8 GB ram. This never happened in previous versions.

Do you get a dialog offering to “send a report to Apple”? If so, copy the first 20 lines or so from that dialog and post them here. Don’t bother sending it to Apple.

– Bill

Process: Audacity [307]
Path: /Applications/Audacity 2.0/Audacity.app/Contents/MacOS/Audacity
Identifier: net.sourceforge.audacity
Version: 2.0.0.0 (2.0.0.0)
Code Type: X86 (Native)
Parent Process: sh [304]

Date/Time: 2012-03-16 21:30:34.751 -0400
OS Version: Mac OS X 10.6.8 (10K549)
Report Version: 6

Interval Since Last Report: 4665890 sec
Crashes Since Last Report: 53
Per-App Interval Since Last Report: 589 sec
Per-App Crashes Since Last Report: 8
Anonymous UUID: 953470B4-3D70-45B2-A35B-3A646023692A

Exception Type: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGSEGV)
Exception Codes: KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS at 0x000000003d656d61
Crashed Thread: 0 Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread

Thread 0 Crashed: Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread
0 …cts.AutoTuneAU_MM.component 0x21ad0914 FxDisposeBitmap(FxBitmap*) + 14
1 …cts.AutoTuneAU_MM.component 0x21ac0fc6 CVST2AUPlugin::~CVST2AUPlugin() + 126
2 …cts.AutoTuneAU_MM.component 0x21abf998 ComponentBase::ComponentEntryDispatch(ComponentParameters*, ComponentBase*) + 90
3 …cts.AutoTuneAU_MM.component 0x21abbb9a AUBase::ComponentEntryDispatch(ComponentParameters*, AUBase*) + 58
4 …cts.AutoTuneAU_MM.component 0x21ac303d CVST2AUPluginEntry + 33
5 …ple.CoreServices.CarbonCore 0x9a62451f CallComponentDispatch + 29
6 …ple.CoreServices.CarbonCore 0x9a6248a8 CallComponentClose + 43
7 …ple.CoreServices.CarbonCore 0x9a6247d1 CloseComponentInternal(ComponentInstanceRecord*) + 101
8 …ple.CoreServices.CarbonCore 0x9a624752 CloseComponent + 46
9 Audacity 0x0008222f AudioUnitEffect::~AudioUnitEffect() + 47
10 Audacity 0x002d72a2 EffectManager::UnregisterEffects() + 50
11 Audacity 0x000c1c93 UnloadEffects() + 19
12 Audacity 0x00046782 AudacityApp::OnExit() + 370

Thanks.

The crash is not in Audacity per se, but in an auto-tune Audio Unit Effect. Removing that effect will probably remove the crash.

Audio Unit effects are stored in:
/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/Components
/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/Components

Find the auto tune component and move it somewhere else, such as the desktop.

– Bill

Thanks Bill. I found the auto tune plug ins. if I remove them, I’m assuming I won’t be able to use them with Audacity. Does that also mean i won’t be able to use them with Digital Performer, which i also use? I haven’t experienced a crash in DP. Should i upgrade autotune? Is the file itself corrupted or just reacting badly with Audacity? Should i use my previous version of Audacity since it didn’t crash?
Again, the “quit unexpectedly” didn’t happen until after I quit Audacity myself.It seemed to be ok when I put audio in the program.
Paul

Yes, if you remove them they won’t be available to any other program.

I’m guessing here, but it crashes in FxDisposeBitmap. Try unchecking “Display Audio Unit effects in graphical mode” in Preferences > Effects and see if that helps.

I don’t know what has changed in 2.0. What “previous” version of Audacity were you using? The developers might be interested in tracking this down.

– Bill

Paul,

Further to Bill’s post, was your previous Audacity version 1.2 something? That would not have the problem because it would not recognise AudioUnit plug-ins.

There are several other things you can try if Bill’s suggestion doesn’t help.

AutoTune probably won’t be fully functional in Audacity, anyway, but updating AutoTune and seeing if that cures the issue would be a good idea. Please let us know if it helps.

If DP has preferences, see if you can give it a different location for Audio Unit plug-ins (or specifically for AutoTune) than the two locations Bill mentioned where Audacity looks.

If you don’t want any AudioUnit effects in Audacity, then you can avoid moving AutoTune by disabling AudioUnits in Audacity. To do this, quit Audacity or let it crash, then go to ~/Library/Application Support/audacity/ and copy in the attached after renaming it to “audacity.cfg” (without quotes).

Also do you have the VST version of AutoTune and could you use that instead of AudioUnit? It is possible Audacity would not trip over the VST.

Gale
audacity.txt (54 Bytes)

Thanks for all the responses. I was using Audacity 1.3.12. I opened 1.3.12 and quit the program and the dialog box did not come up as in Audacity 2. Again, this only happens when I quit the program correctly either through the Audacity menu and choose Quit or use Command Q. I haven’t put Audacity 2 through much work so I can’t say if it will quit when I am using the program. I have Autotune 5 so it’s definitely time for an upgrade. I should do that here shortly. I’ve never used Autoune in Audacity so disabling AudioUnits is probably not a bad idea. I’m not sure, off the top of my head, what other plug ins use AudioUnits in Audacity. I mostly use the program as a 2 track editor.
Paul

Disabling “Display Audio Unit effects in Graphical Mode” did not stop the dialog box from happening when closing the program. I disabled AudioUnits in Preferences/Effects and closed the program. The dialog box did not come up so there is certainly a conflict there. I will upgrade to AutoTune 7 and let you know how it turns out. Thanks again everyone.
Paul

Thanks Paul for the input. It’s interesting if you have Audio Units enabled, disable them in Effects Preferences and quit, then it doesn’t crash when unloading the Audio Units.

Are these crashes on quit always only if the project window is empty when you quit? Is this a 64-bit machine?

Gale

Gale,

I have an iMac 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 so I believe it’s 64 bit but I’m not sure. I bought it in January of 2011. The crashes on quit happen if I have audio in the program or if there is none. I’m not sure why it happens now and not in previous versions of Audacity.I’m hoping my upgrade of Auto Tune will eliminate this problem. Gotta check my finances…

Paul

Downloaded Auto Tune 7 and installed it. No crash on quit! Problem solved. Thanks all!
Paul

Thanks for letting us know, Paul.

Does the Audio Units Auto Tune 7 work (after a fashion) in Audacity, or does Audacity ignore it?

Gale