How to make a voice sound older

Help for Audacity 2.x.x on Mac OS X.

ImageThis forum is for Audacity 2.x.x on Mac OS X 10.4 and later.
Please state which version of OS X you are using, the exact three-section version of Audacity from Audacity > About Audacity and whether you obtained the .dmg installer or the zip.

Audacity 1.2.x and 1.3.x are obsolete and no longer supported. If you still have those versions, please upgrade at https://www.audacityteam.org/download/.
The old forums for those versions are now closed, but you can still read the archives of the 1.2.x and 1.3.x forums.

How to make a voice sound older

Permanent link to this post Posted by RocksAndPebbles » Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:14 pm

I've watched videos and videos but none of them are helping me. I want my voice to sound older, but I'm a girl and all the tutorials are making my voice sound like a man. How can a make my voice sound like a woman? Any ideas? :cry:
RocksAndPebbles

Operating System: OS X 10.11 El Capitan or later (macOS)

Re: How to make a voice sound older

Permanent link to this post Posted by steve » Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:19 pm

The only way to do that without sounding like a robot, is either (a) learn to act, or (b) find someone older or someone that can act to help you. There's no "effect" for acting.
9/10 questions are answered in the FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ)
steve
Site Admin

Operating System: Linux *buntu

Permanent link to this post Posted by Trebor » Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:41 pm

Voice changing $oftware is available, but some acting is required ... https://youtu.be/ztNBCEq8rxQ?t=7m48s
Trebor

Operating System: Windows Vista

Permanent link to this post Posted by kozikowski » Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:57 pm

Acting is the easiest way. Find an old woman's voice you like and try to imitate it. Keep recording the effort. There are tricks for minor timbre change such as putting cotton in your cheeks.

I'm a male bass. I briefly did a woman's voice strictly with acting and microphone placement.

Lauren Bacall's voice was lower than Humphrey Bogart. Did you have any trouble telling them apart?

"You know how to whistle, don't you Steve?"

Koz
kozikowski
Forum Staff

Operating System: OS X 10.9 Mavericks

Return to Mac OS X