Mixer or Interface

Hi All, Newbie here so apologies if this has been discussed before. I’m about to upgrade my recording system, but before i do i’d like some advice.
I have used Audacity for a while now for converting my midi files to mp3. I’d like to add further tracks guitar / harmonies etc. on to the original .
The problem i have is silencing the first track while i’m recording the next one. There must be a way where i can overdub without the first track coming through the microphone as well. Is there a mixing desk that can do this ? or do i go down the Interface way ? Or is there something simple i am missing ?
I currently use Cakewalk to my PC (Windows 7) thro a Roland JV1080 to an old Behringer desk.
Any help / advice would be appreciated, but i’m retired so please speak in language that this old guy would understand.
Thank You
Eddie

Maybe This will help -

[u]Tutorial - Mixing a Narration With Background Music[/u]
[u]Tutorial - Recording Multi-track Overdubs[/u]

I have used Audacity for a while now for converting my midi files to mp3.

I don’t use Cakewalk but I’m pretty sure it can render/produce an audio file, although it probably doesn’t have the same exact virtual instruments/voices as the Roland. (If it doesn’t support MP3 you can make a WAV file and then use Audacity or a number of other programs to convert to MP3.)

…As you may know, MP3 is lossy compression (and the losses accumulate if you compress more than once). So it’s best to do all of your production in WAV (or other lossless format) and then compress once to MP3 as your last step.

The problem i have is silencing the first track while i’m recording the next one. There must be a way where i can overdub without the first track coming through the microphone as well.

Headphones. :wink:

to an old Behringer desk.

The advantage of a mixer is that you can monitor yourself without the latency (delay) you get when going through the computer. (Some interfaces also have zero-latency hardware-monitoring.) There will be some playback latency from the backing track, but that can be compensated for.

I’m about to upgrade my recording system

How are you connected? Line-out from the mixer to line-in on your soundcard?

without the first track coming through the microphone as well

Audacity > Edit > Preferences > Recording: [_] Playthrough.

Turn off Playthrough. Audacity Overdubbing automatically forwards the backing track to your headphones when you record.

Koz

Thanks very much guys for your input. I’ve got lots to read up and digest and i’ll let you know how i get on.
Ta, Eddie