Error Importing

Help for Audacity 2.x.x on Windows.

ImageThis forum is for Audacity 2.x.x on Windows.
Please state which version of Windows you are using,
and the exact three-section version number of Audacity from "Help menu > About Audacity".

Audacity 1.2.x and 1.3.x are obsolete and no longer supported. If you still have those versions, please upgrade at https://www.audacityteam.org/download/.
The old forums for those versions are now closed, but you can still read the archives of the 1.2.x and 1.3.x forums.

Error Importing

Permanent link to this post Posted by Drlous » Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:23 pm

Hey i recorded a very fire track buut in the name of my beat was a symbol so when i tried to load it it showed me : Error Opening Project: Reference to invalid character number at line x --- So i read the manual but opened my audacity file in Windows Wordpad- I probably erased what i needed , but when i tried to load it it showed me : Error Importing: aup is an Audacity Project file. Use the File > Open command --- Then i noticed that opening it in a Wordpad was a mistake so i downloaded Notepad++ which is recommended and i tried to repair it anyhow. Sadly, i couldn´t find any solution as my file is still damaged and i can´t open it. I don´t have any Backup. Please help me, what should i do now ? Where the problem could be ? Thank you if you´ll find some time to help me :) :idea: :idea:
Drlous

Operating System: Windows 8 or 8.1

Re: Error Importing

Permanent link to this post Posted by steve » Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:34 pm

Please post the .AUP file and we see if it looks repairable.
See here for how to attach files to a forum post: https://forum.audacityteam.org/viewtopi ... 49&t=64936
9/10 questions are answered in the FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ)
steve
Site Admin

Operating System: Linux *buntu

Permanent link to this post Posted by Drlous » Sun Apr 15, 2018 1:05 pm

alright, there it is
Attachments
A Man (Travis Scott x Lil Pump x Scarlxrd Type Beat) _by BLACK LIONS BEATZ _ TYPE BEAT, BEATS, 2018 FREE DL [soundtake.net].aup
(56.43 KiB) Downloaded 2 times
Drlous

Permanent link to this post Posted by steve » Sun Apr 15, 2018 1:56 pm

1) Create a new folder somewhere convenient (for example, on the Desktop), and name it "myproject" (without quotes).

2) Copy the folder "A Man (Travis Scott x Lil Pump x Scarlxrd Type Beat) _by BLACK LIONS BEATZ _ TYPE BEAT, BEATS, 2018 FREE DL [soundtake.net]_data" into the folder "myproject".

3) Rename the copy of "A Man (Travis Scott x Lil Pump x Scarlxrd Type Beat) _by BLACK LIONS BEATZ _ TYPE BEAT, BEATS, 2018 FREE DL [soundtake.net]_data" to "A_Man_data".

4) Download this file into the "myproject" folder:
A_Man.aup
(56.07 KiB) Downloaded 3 times

5) Launch Audacity 2.2.2 (if you don't have version 2.2.2, you can get it here: https://www.audacityteam.org/download/)

6) "File menu > Open", and select the project file "A_Man.aup"

What happens?
steve
Site Admin

Permanent link to this post Posted by Drlous » Sun Apr 15, 2018 2:42 pm

It didn´t work :/ Im still getting the same message.. Well, is that lost forever or is there any other way ?
Drlous

Permanent link to this post Posted by steve » Sun Apr 15, 2018 3:23 pm

OK, try this version:
A_Man.aup
(56.06 KiB) Downloaded 4 times
steve
Site Admin

Permanent link to this post Posted by Drlous » Sun Apr 15, 2018 3:36 pm

Oh, you did it . Thank you so much ;) :D
Drlous

Permanent link to this post Posted by steve » Sun Apr 15, 2018 3:46 pm

Excellent :D

The problems were twofold:
1) Older versions of Audacity do not handle extended character sets very well (improved in recent versions of Audacity)
2) WordPad (and Microsoft NotePad) implement Unicode "the Microsoft way" (aka "incorrectly"), and automatically change the character encoding of the document.

Two things I would suggest:
1) If you've not already done so, upgrade to Audacity 2.2.2 at your earliest convenience.
2) Don't use WordPad (or NotePad) to edit AUP files. Generally, you should not manually edit .AUP files at all, but if you have to, use NotePad++, which by default uses the character encoding of the original document.
steve
Site Admin

Return to Windows