No Automatic Log File Generation?

Hi all,

I work in IT at my University’s Library and we were having an issue with Audacity crashing after about 30-40 minutes from apparently a USB microphone. It also crashed Windows Movie Maker. I have been diagnosing the issue trying to replicate it for about 2.5-3 hours now, but nothing has happened.

The instructor said it happened twice at random and may be caused from the Microphone, but seemed to only happen about 30-40 minutes into a session with students, and it’s only one computer.

I noticed that there is a log while the program is running, however, you have to save it manually. I also have not been able to find a location of a log file on the system that was automatically generated.

I was wondering if there is a log file, and if so where is it? If not, is that functionality that can be added?

I would prefer to tell her how to save or locate the log file so that way if it does happen again I can reference it and use it in a Google search or on this forum.

Here’s some information.

Version: Audacity 2.2.2

PC: Dell Optiplex 9020

Microphone: Cyber Acoustics M/N: CVL-1084

Thanks,

Kyle

Audacity does not use Windows Movie Maker.
What prompts you to deduce that Audacity caused Windows Movie Maker to crash?
Could it be that something about the system caused Audacity and Windows Movie Maker to crash?

USB microphone?

Audacity may create an error log in certain situations, and in these cases there is a message that pops up to tell the user where it has been saved. If you need more logging than that, you need to make a debug build from the source code. The normal log in the Audacity Help menu is unlikely to have any useful information about a crash.