Label at Playback Position - cannot enter label text

I have downloaded Audacity 2.2.2, and notice that I cannot add label text after creating a label at the playback position. While recording, I press Ctrl + M, which inserts a new blank label at the playback position. In prior versions, I could immediately enter the label text, then press Enter. That does not happen anymore. After pressing Ctrl + M, the label is created, but I need to click in the label in order to enter text.
Ctrl + B (label at current position) works as it always has, the label is created and is in edit mode, to accept a text entry. This is how I wish for Ctrl + M to work also.
Is there a setting that I can change, in order to get this to work?

Unfortunately it is a bug rather than a setting. It has been fixed in the development code, so the next release will have the fix.

I am a newcomer to Audacity. Are updates issued frequently. Is it fair to expect a new release within the short term, or should I install 2.2.1 (where I know this feature works)?

Updates have been a lot more frequent recently, but the next update is a big one (version 2.3.0), so it’ll be a few months before it’s released.
If you can just work around the label problem for a few months, then that’s probably the best thing to do.

Please be very careful if you decide to use Audacity 2.2.1 - it has this known bug in it (I think this also applies to Audacity 2.2.0): https://forum.audacityteam.org/t/important-bug-fix/48358/1

I think this bug was introduced in 2.2.1 ad remains in 2.2.2 - and is fixed for the upcoming 2.3.0

I do not believe that 2.2.0 has that bug.

WC

There are two bugs that we are talking about.

The “label” bug exists in 2.2.2 (and possibly some version before) and will be fixed in the next release (2.3.0)

The bug that loses data when overwriting a project with “Save As” is already fixed in 2.2.2, but present in 2.2.1 (and possibly earlier). This was a more serious bug because it could totally destroy a project, which is why I urge great caution (or better still, don’t use 2.2.1).