Bug - Cannot Get Out Of "Play Mode"

Hi there. I’ve used Audacity for years with no issue, until today. I was messing around with it until I added too many effects and crashed. That’s not the issue. I used 2.1.3 when it crashed. After the crash, Audacity booted slowly, and wouldn’t record or edit audio after playing the audio once. Like, I cannot add any effects or record anything after the initial playback. The only way that it would ever playback is if I would minimize Audacity and maximize it again. I thought that maybe I could uninstall and reinstall it, but Windows claimed that it was already reinstalled. Even after upgrading to 2.2.2, the problem persisted.

OS used - Windows 10 Home x64 Build Number 16299.309

Audacity booted slowly, and wouldn’t record or edit audio after playing the audio once. Like, I cannot add any effects or record anything

You’re not running out of drivespace, are you?

How long was the show? Audacity UNDO makes total copies of the whole show as UNDO every time you make an effect. If you have a long show, that can add up pretty quickly.

Did you clean restart? Shift-Shutdown and wait for it to finish. That should take much longer than a regular shutdown or restart. It’s resetting everything.

Koz