stand alone recording

I promised I would start a new thread for this…I went thru a bunch of different settings for high pitched noise, hum, and noise removal…while results are better than before the noise is still there…Id like to keep using audacity especially if i get a better computer..Im hoping that would get better results…the stand alone recording device is a good idea and ill probably do it..when you say get a battery powered unit..which also makes sense..Im assuming there are non battery powered devices as well…before I buy do you believe that a battery powered recorder will give better results as far a noise suppression.
I `m guessing this is an obvious question since you have already said as much but I want to make sure before I spend money on one.

I have a Zoom H2 (original version) which can use AA batteries or a mains power adaptor. There is no noticeable hum with either.
Main benefits - good recording quality for quick “rehearsal” or “jotting things down” recordings. Small and portable. Can also record line level for recording live gigs from the mixing desk.

I also have an old Yamaha hard disk recorder, mains powered only - no hum with that either.
Main advantages: Excellent sound quality. Up to 8 channels simultaneous recording.

I also use a Behringer UCA 202 interface (USB powered), and no problems with that either.
Main advantages: Very good recording (and playback) quality from line level sources (no mic input). Cheap. Massively better than my laptop’s built-in sound card. I generally use this at home as an alternative to the built-in sound card of my laptop.

My laptop also has a built-in sound card, and the recording quality with that is just about OK with line level input, and terrible with a microphone.

There’s a very wide range of equipment available, with a massive price range. When buying, you really need to think about what your intended use will be, plus what additional use you “may” have in the near future (if you are microphone recording, then you may not need phantom power straight away, but you will probably need it if you get a condenser microphone - you may only need one mic now, but will you want two later on?) Then decide on your budget, and see what’s available. Although it is possible to get remarkably good equipment at reasonable prices, the really cheap stuff is usually rubbish (you can’t get a good condenser mic for less than $10, but I’ve used some remarkably good mics for under $100)

Id like to keep using audacity especially if i get a better computer..Im hoping that would get better results…

In general, your choice of computer or software doesn’t make a difference. It’s digital data and a different computer doesn’t give you a different bank balance or a better written term paper, etc. That’s assuming you’re not having any “digital problems”. Oh… If your microphone is picking-up fan noise, a quieter computer will help.

If you’re using a regular soundcard or the mic built-into your laptop, a USB audio interface and good stage/studio microphones should help.

As far as acoustic noise, you have to reduce the noise and/or get closer to the sound source, etc. (A directional mic helps too and most stage/studio mics are directional.)

the stand alone recording device is a good idea and ill probably do it..when you say get a battery powered unit..which also makes sense..Im assuming there are non battery powered devices as well…before I buy do you believe that a battery powered recorder will give better results as far a noise suppression.

I haven’t really shopped-around but the only AC powered digital recorders I’ve seen are “big” multi-track units. Some of the portable units may work with an AC adapter or USB power supply, but I’d assume they are generally immune to power supply noise. (Some USB-powered interfaces or USB microphones are not so immune to power supply noise.)

P.S.
Solid state recorders tend to be more reliable (simply because they are specialized one-purpose devices). Computers are the least reliable gadgets we own! (Because the are multi-purpose devices running all kinds of different software & drivers with lots of settings/options, etc., and it’s easy to screw something up.) And, with digital recording you often don’t know if something’s gone wrong 'till you play back. That’s usually not a big deal if you’re “In the studio” where you can go for “take two”. But if you’re recording live and you get home and you find out you’ve got a bad recording, or no recording, it can be a bummer.

Im using an Alesis 4 channel usb mixer with an external power supply..it works great running my speakers and seems to be doing what its supposed to do…the problem is I have a high noise floor no matter what…disconnect the mixer…get rid of anything that might possibly be causing it and it`s still doing it…I need to find some way to make some decent recordings…I do want to get the best quality possible and basically need to know how to do that without renting studio time.

need to know how to do that without renting studio time.

Step one. Cut a 10 second stereo or 20 second mono sample with both noise and performance and post it here.

This is the ideal process.

http://www.kozco.com/tech/audacity/TestClip/Record_A_Clip.html

Scroll down from a forum text page > Upload attachment.

Probably the most entertaining problem any one ever had was the poster who discovered their player was doing it. The actual show was clean. There is The Yeti Curse, where the microphone itself injects noise into the show. You can throw money at that one (the more expensive Yeti Pro doesn’t do that) or there is a special, custom filter for it that works about 80% of the time.

And etc.

I struggled for over a year with acoustical noise which turned out to be a defect in my music performance system bass cabinet. It was off at the time.

Koz