adjusting the recording levels

hi
I’m on windows 10 64 bits…the right recording level seem to be to high and the left recording levels are too low…how do you adjust these levels so their even?thanks

lenny

How bad is it? It would be better to prevent the problem if it’s “bad”.

What are you recording and how are you connected? i.e. Are you recording from the microphone built-into your laptop? And external mic? Streaming audio? A USB turntable? Etc??

You can’t adjust the left & right channels separately while recording unless your recording hardware has separate left & right knobs/sliders.

After recording -
Click the little drop-down arrow to the left of the waveforms.
Select Split Stereo Track.
…Now you can select/highlight the left & right the left & right channels separately and you can apply the Amplify effect separately.

hi I’m using a dell desktop…a numark tt 20o and an onkyo 8020 amp…im on windows 10 64 bits system… my amp is connected to the "line in on my computer sound card…

lenny

So it’s not “terrible” and the sound quality from the weak channel is OK, right?

…It’s probably just a slight imbalance in your phono cartridge… It’s analog and these things aren’t perfect. :wink:

(If it is “terrible” and you have to boost the left side by more than 3dB on every record, we should probably try to troubleshoot/diagnose the problem.)

The method of splitting the stereo file should work. It’s best if you do it trial-and-error by ear.

Or, the Normalize Effect has an option of automatically normalizing the left & right channels independently (so both sides will have the same peaks), but peak levels don’t correlate well with perceived loudness so if you do that make sure it sounds balanced.

Or it could be the record if you’re not getting the same thing on every record.

It’s normal to have different peaks on the left & right sides, especially with analog records and especially on older records that weren’t digitally compressed/limited. The average levels should be about the same and of course it should sound balanced with the lead vocals in the center, etc. Normalizing for equal peaks on both sides can actually throw the balance off.

Just FYI - GoldWave (a $50 USD commercial “competitor” to Audacity) has an effect called Max/Match. It matches the average (or RMS) level of both channels and then it normalizes (maximizes) the volume for 0dB peaks in whatever channel has the highest peak. This can be done in Audacity but it takes several processes/steps. (And, in some cases it may still may not “sound right”.)