Bakground Static Immune to all fixes...

Hey guys,

Hopefully not a repost, couldn’t find my issue among other items. I am on Windows Audacity 2.2.2 Recording with a TONOR Pro Condenser Microphone XLR 3.5mm with 48V Phantom Power Supply. Every time I make a test recording, I’ve got this constant background white noise hiss. The waveform does not show any motion, but the static is always there, no change during speaking or silence.

Following some guides I messed with noise reduction, but different settings have no effect. Any ideas on a fix? The room is silent when I am so no outside noise coming.

With no further information than that, I’d say your player was doing it—or the playback pathway.

If you messed with noise reduction and it didn’t help—or even change, then it’s likely the problem isn’t in the sound file.

Is it mono? Drag-select about 20 seconds of it, Export as WAV (Microsoft) 16-bit and post it on the forum. Scroll down from a text window > Upload attachment.

Koz

You can create a forum-friendly sound clip, too.

http://www.kozco.com/tech/audacity/TestClip/Record_A_Clip.html

Koz

Audacity test clip. Let me know what else you need. Recorded in mono setting at 44100 hz.

Yes, I have that problem all the time. I usually read the cereal box. “Puffed Sugar Flakes is part of a balanced breakfast…”

You’re recording background noise is way too loud, it contains sub-sonic (earthquake) noises and you’re recording too low. I can get rid of the earthquake noise with a special equalizer filter Steve designed. The rest of the noise (fffffffff) is harder, but I can help…a little… And finally, you need to record louder.

Record so your peak blue waves hover around 50% and the sound meter just sneaks into the yellow: -6dB to -10dB.

Like this.

I can walk you through everything else, but need to get louder. You’re so far off that the correction tools will start to mess with your voice quality.

Yes, you need to keep an eye on those instruments while recording. That’s what the Recording Engineer would normally be doing.

Koz

Missed a step.

Koz

I’m using the ACX Audiobook quality standards based on the assumption if you can pass that, you can post anywhere.

Are you reading for audiobooks? If that clip was close enough, I can tell you how I got there.

Koz

And yes, you were probably using the tools wrong. That can be fixed, too.

Koz

wow, thanks for all the info. Yea,I pretty much have no idea what I’m doing lol trying to learn as I go, for all the good that’s doing me lol

planning on doing this for voice acting from anything from commercials to documentaries to video games to IVR; whatever I can land at first so hard to say that I’ll have any one type of recording I’m shooting for.

So gotta start off recording much louder, makes sense lol I was wondering why everyone’s waveform was so dramatic in all the guide vids, figured mine was zoomed out to a wider scale or something. Is there anything else I can do at the source or is the rest fixed in post?