Audacity 2.2.2 constantly crashes upon importing audio

I’m using the latest version of Audacity, and I’m trying to import 4 tracks and edit them. However, whenever I import more than 1, upon finishing importing Audacity freezes. Sometimes it says “not responding” and whites out, but sometimes it just freezes and won’t react to anything (I even waited a half hour once and it still was just inexplicably frozen. What’s frustrating is I got it to work earlier, was 2 steps away from finishing the episode, and Audacity crashed and would do the aforementioned crash/freeze any time I tried to open the project. I had to scrap the whole thing and try to start over. Any ideas what’s wrong?

Running out of disk space?

No, I still have over 600 gigs left.

You mean you are importing 4 “files”?
If you restart Audacity and import ONE file, does that work for all of the files?

Yes, sorry, importing 4 files. And yes, I can import each file to their own audacity project, but even then if I exit the project and open it again, it just freezes.

So what do you have to do to open the next file? Do you need to log out and back in again, or reboot the computer, or something else?
I’m trying to get a clear picture of what is happening, what you are doing and what you are seeing.
How exactly are you importing the files? (please describe step-by-step).

Is the Temporary files directory on the drive that has much space too? (Prefernces: Directories)

oh boy. can’t even embed images
pYavklf.png

To embed an image, upload the image to the forum (see: https://forum.audacityteam.org/t/how-to-attach-files-to-forum-posts/24026/1), then click the “Place inline” button.
That will create tags like this at the cursor position:

[attachment=0]pYavklf.png[/attachment]

When you preview or post the message, the image will replace the tags.

iCloud? Cloud Services? Any external drives and are any of them running out of space? You have textbook classic symptoms of running out of clear, usable drivespace. Or Windows thinks it’s running out of space.

If it quacks like a duck…

Have you ever defragmented your drive manually?

https://www.laptopmag.com/articles/defragment-hard-drive-windows

It’s supposed to happen by itself, but it doesn’t happen always. One service depends on your machine running at 4AM—not napping or sleeping, so it can get missed.

Start peeling off services and jobs. Disconnect the network/internet. If you can’t do that, then we may have our answer.

Change stuff and see what happens. Disconnect the network and shut down the virus software temporarily.

Koz

As you’re cranking through tests, pay attention to changes that seemingly have nothing at all to do with the problem.

I once followed a very highly respected consulting engineer around and watched him work. He did everything I would have done, except he wrote everything down and didn’t make assumptions about what his results were going to be—unlike me.

Fortunately, he liked to talk about what he was doing. He was an engineering course in 90 minutes.

Koz

Hi, I have the same problem. I try to drag an audio file into Audacity and it freezes. I have plenty of extra space on my disk. I have been using previous versions of Audacity and never had this problem till updating to the newest version.

I have plenty of extra space on my disk.

Did you go through all the rest of the steps in the above thread? Do you use Cloud Services?

Does the song have punctuation marks in the filename?

Audacity can’t check interactions with every other application or configuration on earth. All we can do is get it to run on a handful of plain machines with maybe one or two common apps. So if you peel off all your enhancements, programs and services and make sure the machine is in perfect health and it still doesn’t work, post back.

We could also wait for Ocelott13 to post back and see how they made out.

I have been using previous versions of Audacity

We know the last two or three Audacity versions had a serious problem, so you’re comparing the current Audacity to ones that were broken.

Koz

This is sadly very familiar.

Running Audacity 2.2.2 on Windows 10 (HP laptop, new). 200GB free space. Also at directory I have chosen for Audacity.

I can create a small audio recording, save as wav-file and open again. But trying to import larger/longer file makes Audacity crash.

Does anyone have other ideas?