Input to Audacity rom Behringer X-Air-X18 via X-Air-Edit

Hi,

I’m a new(ish) user of both Audacity and my Behringer X-Air-X18 mixer, which I use with Behringer’s X-Air-Edit software on a PC running Windows 10, with Intel Core i5-4460 CPU @ 3.2GHz and 12.0GB installed RAM.

I can get live sound out to Alto active speakers, but cannot connect it to Audacity.

I have the latest drivers from Behringer, though not sure where it should sit in Windows 10 directories?

Has anyone experience in using these pieces of software and who can help me record multi-tracks, in stereo, of at least four channels from X-Air?

Many thanks.

Hal.

…and who can help me record multi-tracks, in stereo, of at least four channels from X-Air?

That’s a [u]BIG PROBLEM[/u]. Multi-channel recording is theoretically possible but few (if any) people are using Audacity for multi-track recording. And even if you get the recording done, you probably won’t like using Audacity for multi-track mixing.

I recommend you get a “real” [u]Multitrack DAW[/u]. Or, does the supplied software have recording capability?

I have the latest drivers from Behringer, though not sure where it should sit in Windows 10 directories?

With the USB plugged-in, right-click on the Windows Speaker/Volume icon and select Recording Devices. If Windows sees it, Audacity should see it too and you should be able to select it as your [u]Recording Device[/u]. (It might show-up as “USB CODEC” or something generic, but it should say “USB something…”)

Depending on how your mixer works (or how it can be configured) you’d probably just get channels 1 & 2 or the 2-channel stereo mix. (Most “USB mixers” only give you the stereo mix out of the USB port, but I believe yours works like a multi-channel interface.)

Hi DVDdoug,
Thanks for providing such helpful information, though I fear I’ll have to resort to installing other software… IF I continue with the PC.
Did try all input (recording) and output (Speaker) options on Audacity, but to no avail.
I do have an iMac 27 which looks as though it may prove more fruitful - I’ll let y’all know.
Cheers,
H.