help with importing from a flash drive

Hi all,

I checked through the FAQ as best as I could and couldn’t find exactly what I was looking for unless I missed it.

Im using audacity 2.2.2 and editing podcast episodes in there. My computer’s hard drive is full and I’d like to use a flash drive and save the audacity project files directly to the flash drive as I edit and then be able to shut down my computer and pick up where I left off the next day using the data saved to the flash drive.

Can someone walk me through how I import the data into audacity properly? I tried previously and got errors when doing so, but that was when I tried to drop the _data folder directly into audacity. So how do I get the _data folders back into audacity to continue editing? Last time I don’t even know what I did, but I found some alternate way to recover what I started which was lucky. However, going forward I’d like a much easier way to do this.

Thank you so much for any help,
Derreck

Take some stuff off your internal drive and do the show there. Doing anything with a full system drive is begging loudly for trouble.

Remember when you move valuable work to keep two copies on independent devices. I’m not usually a cloud person, but one external drive and a copy on cloud storage should work.

Koz

This is an Audacity Project.

The AUP file is the Project Manager and the _DATA folder holds all the sound. You need both to put the show back together. If you managed to do it any other way, you got insanely lucky.

Koz

After you shovel off stuff from your internal drive, you should do a drive health check and defragment it, assuming it’s a spinning metal drive. Media Production programs don’t much like working over external connections and they don’t like drives slow from highly fragmented file management.

https://www.laptopmag.com/articles/defragment-hard-drive-windows

Koz

My internal drive is completely maxed. I have tried so many times deleting things and there is almost nothing left on the computer now. I don’t understand how so much of the drive is taken up when I have so few programs on there. Maybe I need to do something to get rid of space that I’m not knowing about? But I’ve deleted so many things already.

I constantly get this error in audacity–
File error
Audacity failed to write to a file.
Perhaps C: is not writable or the disk is full.

It is full, but it makes no sense how it can still be full after I get rid of countless things.

fyi I optimized my drive and did a disk cleanup. Also have deleted many files like I said and emptied the recycle bin. Yet I only have about 300MB of space after all of that…