Techno numpty newb trying to get cassette to PC Help.....

OK - I’m as confused as a roller skating spider, I literally know nothing. I bought a cheapy ‘Super USB \Cassette Capture’ to transfer some rare language tapes to MP3. Most of the instructions re settings didn’t seem to match my drop down boxes (Windows 10 home) and eventually I thought I’d just have a bash and see what happens.

I got it to record! It played at the same time and sounded like the tapes, not great but workable. At the end of the tape I went to ply it back and there was awful interference and a really artificial sounding echo - un usable.

I can’t seem to find an idiots guide out there, just very technological answers and if it’s really this hard I don’t think I can do it. It’s not a common language (Sinhala) on the tapes and they are no longer available in tape or CD form.

I would give more details if I had the first idea what half of it is - just don’t know why the playback is so distorted when it sounded ok going in??

Help…

See: https://manual.audacityteam.org/man/tutorial_copying_tapes_lps_or_minidiscs_to_cd.html

and: https://manual.audacityteam.org/man/sample_workflow_for_tape_digitization.html

WC

At the end of the tape I went to ply it back and there was awful interference and a really artificial sounding echo - un usable.

Make sure you’ve selected the USB device as your [u]Recording Device[/u]. (It usually says “USB CODEC”, but look for “USB …something”.) …“Stereo Mix” or Loopback" can sometimes give you an echo.

Most of the instructions re settings didn’t seem to match my drop down boxes (Windows 10 home) and eventually I thought I’d just have a bash and see what happens…

…I can’t seem to find an idiots guide out there, just very technological answers and if it’s really this hard I don’t think I can do it.

If your cassette machine came with Audacity, it may be outdated and/or the instructions may be outdated.

Make sure you have the latest [u]Audacity 2.2.2[/u]. And see [u]Copying tapes, LPs or MiniDiscs to CD[/u].

and they are no longer available in tape or CD form.

If you are burning a CD, Audacity can’t do that “last step” so you’ll need to use some other software. If you are making MP3s you’ll need to install the optional [u]LAME MP3 Encoder[/u].

I had a glimmer of hope and then it was gone!

So - I downloaded the updated version, but before that I had got the recording to play so on day 1 I exported 53mins onto mp3!! Yay!

Day 2 and the tape only has 15 mins on one side which I record no problem. I stop the tape delete silence and try to record side 2 only to get the weird echoey noise and nothing else! Eventually I gave up figuring it was because I was trying to get them to play back to back and I just exported the 15 mins onto mp3.

Day 3 - I try to get it set up but I can’t get anything except the echoey interference - can’t get it to play or record through Audacity. The tape deck is working as I can hear clearly through headphones, (took headphones out when trying to record in case that was why but no luck!). I’ve looked at the FAQ but cannot find any mention of this, it’s just a weird ‘spacey’ sound, no voice.

The cassette tapes are still sold for < £200, the book with it about the same, local services that charge for tape to MP3 are £60+ per hr of recording but even so I’m begining to lose heart a bit. :frowning: