How to move mouse pointer position with keyboard shortcuts?

Are there any keyboard shortcuts that will allow me to move the mouse pointer position? Specifically, I would like keyboard shortcuts to move the mouse pointer to the selection start and to the selection end. I would also like to move the mouse pointer to the cursor position.

The two commands are View > Skip To > Selection Start and View > Skip To > Selection End

With ehe default “Standard” set of shortcuts there are no shortcuts.

However if you turn on the “Full” set of shortcuts you will get shortcuts for these commands : Ctrl + [ and Ctrl +]

To turn this on - go to Edit > Preferences, choose the “Keyboard” pane, click on the “Defaults” button click on “Full” - and click the OK button.

Alternatively you can stick with the standatd set and just add shortcuts of your own choosing - see: https://manual.audacityteam.org/man/keyboard_preferences.html

WC

Ah - thos commands move the view not the mouse cursor.

With a selection present the mouse cursor position is always the start of the selection.

WC

The “mouse cursor” is the icon that moves around when you move the mouse (an arrow, a hand with a pointing finger, a vertical I-beam etc.). The “play cursor” is the position at which Audacity starts playing audio if you click the play button. Which one do you want to change? If it really is the “mouse cursor” then (using Dragon) you may use any of the normal mouse movement control commands.

However, I suspect that you want to move the “play cursor”. This can be accomplished with keyboard input (and thus with Dragon - Advanced Scripting might be required for the nontrivial movements). To use keyboard input (Dragon) to move the “play cursor” the Track must be active and have focus. Imagine that you have just clicked in the audio display (waveform) section of a track, said track will have a thin yellow box surrounding it to note that it is active, there will be a thin vertical line stretching through the waveform and the timeline, there will be a triangle in the timeline with one point on said vertical line. Paying close attention to said vertical line (this vertical line is the “play cursor”) press the right arrow key on your keyboard (or, using Dragon, say “Press Right”); the “play cursor” will move a single pixel to the right. The amount of audio (time) covered by that single pixel is determined by your Zoom level.

I’m pretty sure that Dragon will not respond to “Press Right 10” as there is no default command of such a nature; it’s pretty easy to write an Advanced Script such as

Bump <key> <1-100>

where is a list containing all of the keys you might be interested in (Left, Right, Up, Down, Tab etc.) and the other list could be any list of consecutive integers (I’ve used an example of 1 to 100 - remember that if the list contains more than a few hundred items it might bog down the command a little bit).

Things get a little more interesting when you have a selection. As waxcylinder points out, the Transport menu has a submenu “Cursor to" which has a few commands for which you can create keyboard shortcuts; alternately, you may use the built-in accelerator keys (they all have one) try saying (or pressing on the keyboard) “Press Alt Romeo”, make a slight pause, “Press Charlie” - the Transport menu will open then it’s “Cursor to” submenu will open at which point you may say “Press …” speaking any of the underlined keys to deploy that command. Nearly all, if not all, of Audacity’s menu commands have accelerator keys. I have found that this is by far easier and quicker to script than messing with keyboard shortcuts!

Finally, as we experimented with via email, it’s possible to drive the “Audio Position” Time/Text control (which displays the “play cursor”'s position) with a Dragon script. It’s also possible to do so via keyboard but it requires a lot of tabbing around to get said control in focus; once it has focus you may use the Right & Left keys (or say “Press Right”) to cycle through each individual integer - when one has the focus you may just say (or press) the you want. This is by far the most accurate method of moving the “play cursor” and the one I use almost exclusively.

Ahhh - but we also have Transport > Move Cursor To > Selection > End and Transport > Move Cursor To > Selection > Start
But note that using either of these will destroy the selection.

There are no shortcuts set for these (not in Standard and not in Full) so you will need to create your own.

WC