WASAPI error opening sound device

I’m new to using Audacity but I’ve been having difficulties using it to record conversations on google hangouts. I it successfully to record a hang out call last month but today it won’t let me evacuate if the “Error opening sound device”.

I’ve worked on it and played around for a few hours, done my research, been all the way through the wiki to try and troubleshoot but nothing as worked.

My settings are to record using Windows WASAPI, use speakers (Realtek high definition audio) (loopback), recorded with one channel (1 mono) and playback using my speakers (realtek high definition etc).

When the setting are this way and I press record it gives me the error.

If I attempt to record using 2 channels (stereo) you can hear what is playing on my computer, but you can’t hear me, even when speaking super close to the mic.

Any other setting you can just hear me, just hear the computer, or neither.

I’ve uninstalled and reinstalled Audacity. I’ve updated all of the drivers of the sound devices on my computer. I’ve restarted the computer. I’ve made sure that the project rates for everything matched (at 48000 Hz and 44100 Hz). I’ve adjusted the transport options.

Again, I really odn’t know what’s happening here since it worked so perfectly with all of these settings just a month ago. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!

I also forgot to mention that I’m using Audacity version 2.2.2