Panning recorded tracks

Hi,
I’m recording through a Behringer X1204, 4 - channel mixer with the latest Audacity installation. When I attempt to pan my tracks the sound merely decreases from left to right, and is clearest / loudest when centered. I’ve tried changing to stereo and mono recording settings, using the manual panning on my Behringer mixer, I’ve gone through I swear all the preferences and settings, and yet I still cannot find a solution. The exported MP3 files I’ve emailed out of my computer are properly panned, but even my MP3 files still on my computer are no longer properly panned. I do not recall making any changes over the past two weeks, and this has changed since Friday the 9th. Any ideas on what may be wrong? thanks.

Sorry, I dont’ understand the problem…

Are you talking about the pan controls on the mixer or panning in Audacity? You should generally pan with the mixer,* especially if you are mixing multiple inputs. If you turn all of the mixer’s pan controls to the right, do you get silence on the left?

When I attempt to pan my tracks the sound merely decreases from left to right

Yeah… That’s how panning works… When you pan to the left, the right decreases (and the left should usually increase a little).

The exported MP3 files I’ve emailed out of my computer are properly panned, but even my MP3 files still on my computer are no longer properly panned.

Are you saying the playback is messed-up? Is everything mono? Even with Windows Media Player? Maybe your soundcard has a configuration utility and it’s configured for mono? Or maybe you’ve got a bad/shorted cable or something.

\

• If you have a multi-channel interface (and multi-track DAW software) it’s more common to record multiple mono tracks and pan (and mix) in software (post-production, after recording).

What I mean is during the panning on audacity sound comes out of both headphones as a mono recording, but overall volume decreases as I pan from center to left or right.
I agree panning should be done in the mixer, which is why troubleshooted with its manual controls, but I always found successful results from using the track panning option on audacity in the past.
I only record from one input at a time and have multiple tracks recorded.

its a possibility it could be the playback which I will investigate today, because the mp3 experts i emailed out of my computer are still stereo and have not changed back to a mono sound. Just doesn’t mane sense… nothing has seemed to change, or break, on my laptop.

You need to go into your microphone settings in the sound settings.

Sound Control Panel > Recording > Select CODEC > Properties > Advanced > Then switch from the 1 Channel DVD to a 2 Channel Option (which ever best suits your needs)

Note that you are responding to a post that is 3 years old.