Can't hear my recording to harmonize

Help for Audacity 2.x.x on Windows.

ImageThis forum is for Audacity 2.x.x on Windows.
Please state which version of Windows you are using,
and the exact three-section version of Audacity from "Help menu > About Audacity".

Audacity 1.2.x and 1.3.x are obsolete and no longer supported. If you still have those versions, please upgrade at
The old forums for those versions are now closed, but you can still read the archives of the 1.2.x and 1.3.x forums.

Can't hear my recording to harmonize

Permanent link to this post Posted by aviv » Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:27 pm

I have been using audacity for a while not for anything serious- just to record myself and figure out where I want harmony etc. Feedback etc doesn't bother me
I have always used the microphone from my pc
All of a sudden today, I can't hear my recording when I press 'record'.

I will record myself and hear myself quite well, but when I press record again, I hear nothing, and I have to guess when I should start harmonizing.
I used to be able to hear myself in melody and then harmonize two or three parts quite easily because I can hear it in playback (using the record button)
Now the only time I hear myself is if I press the play button, but then I can't record to it

Why is it working differently, is this the new way to record or do I need to adjust something in audacity to hear the same track when I press record - not just when I press 'play'

Please please please help me. I have to be in the studio this month and want to make sure I can play around with harmonies before stepping into a studio
Thanks in advance

Frustrated and Desappointed
Operating System: Windows 10

Return to Windows