Multi-Channel Recording in Audacity

Help for Audacity 2.x.x on Windows.

ImageThis forum is for Audacity 2.x.x on Windows.
Please state which version of Windows you are using,
and the exact three-section version of Audacity from "Help menu > About Audacity".

Audacity 1.2.x and 1.3.x are obsolete and no longer supported. If you still have those versions, please upgrade at
The old forums for those versions are now closed, but you can still read the archives of the 1.2.x and 1.3.x forums.

Multi-Channel Recording in Audacity

Permanent link to this post Posted by Willbah » Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:16 am

Hi there guys and gals, long time reader first time poster.

I am running a Steinberg UR44 with 3 mic inputs into audacity and attempting to record a podcast. The problem I am experiencing is that the first mic is being detected as a left audio input and the second mic as the right audio input while the third mic isn't even picking up sound. Essentially I am having issues with audacity picking up 3 microphone channels.

This wasn't so much an issue with 2 mics as we would record in the weird left/right stereo and then when we we're done we'd split the stereo into mono and that would produce a nice sound but I've realised trying to record with 3 mics that this is just ignoring the problem and creating more issues.

Could anyone help me with this problem?
Operating System: Windows 10

Re: Multi-Channel Recording in Audacity

Permanent link to this post Posted by DVDdoug » Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:18 pm

Did your interface come with software?

I'd say get a real multitrack DAW.

Here is some information about Multichannel Recording in Audacity, but most people don't seem to be successful with it and Audacity doesn't have the kind of automation that you "need" for multitrack mixing.
Forum Crew
Operating System: Windows 10

Return to Windows