Windows Will Not Play Recordings

When I try to play my recordings back on Windows Media, I get a message that says Windows Media Cannot Play File. Is there any correction for this? I must have done something wrong.

We need a little more than that. Describe your job and how you produced your files.

Koz

Make sure you’ve exported as a regular audio file (WAV or MP3, etc.) Audacity AUP files are for Audacity only.

Thanks for the help. I had to download the MP3 converter, but it’s working now.

It should have worked if you Exported a WAV. WAV’s full family name is WAV (Microsoft). It’s their file format.

If you’re doing sound production, WAV is highly recommended. MP3 creates tiny sound damage, and it gets worse as you go.

Koz

WAV? Ok, I’ll give it a try next time I record. Thank you!

I’ll give it a try next time I record.

It depends on your work. If you record and the work is going straight out to a Personal Music Device or on-line, then MP3 is fine, but if you’re headed for post production editing, WAV is the way to go.

Just to warn you about sticker shock, WAV format files take up a lot more room on the drive. If you’re right on the edge of running out of space, you have decisions to make.

Koz

Thank you. What I’m doing is copying cassettes via a USB player and cable to my computer to keep there. It’s going well, but when I play it back on iTunes the sound quality is lost…sounds very quiet. Should I post another question on that?

It’s going well, but when I play it back on iTunes the sound quality is lost…sounds very quiet.

Poor quality or just not loud enough?

If it’s too quiet, run the Amplify effect (after recording but before exporting).* The Amplify effect will pre-scan your file and automatically adjust to whatever amplification is needed to normalize (maximize) your file.

Even after normalizing/maximizing, your digitized cassettes won’t be as loud a modern “loudness war” CDs & MP3s, but they shouldn’t be too quiet.

\

• You can re-open the AUP project, or the WAV or MP3 file, but when you open an MP3 for editing it gets decompressed. Then it gets re-compressed when you re-export it, and that’s another generation of lossy compression. …If you are making MP3’s, it’s best to compress ONCE as the last step.

I started digging into the Manuel and I found the problem! So I’ve got the playback volume where I want it. Thank for the info…you folks are so helpful!