Hi. new laptop and audacity is not working - pls asap

Hi
had to replace laptop in middle of huge project - recording lessons.
have installed 2.2.1 but cannot export MP3. where do i find missing files and what to do next?
thanks so much !!

You need the optional LAME download - see: https://manual.audacityteam.org/man/installing_and_updating_audacity_on_windows.html#winlame

The Manual states:
Because of software patents, Audacity cannot include MP3 encoding software or distribute such software from its own websites. Instead, use the following instructions to download and install the free and recommended LAME third-party encoder to export MP3 files with Audacity. See the LAME Legal Issues page for more details.

Actually our understanding is that the patents have now lapsed - so we are considering bundling the LAME encoder in future versions of Audacity.

WC

Hi and thank you
i have installed but it still says LAME is missing … can you pls help me?

Actually our understanding is that the patents have now lapsed - so we are considering bundling the LAME encoder in future versions of Audacity.

Cool! I’ve been wondering about that.

I see that the official LAME website has finally has been updated with a note about the expired patents. But, the official website still doesn’t seem to have a compiled encoder.

Hi guys
managed to fix this
thanks

audacity works now
thank you