Silence

Help for Audacity 2.x.x on Windows.

ImageThis forum is for Audacity 2.x.x on Windows.
Please state which version of Windows you are using,
and the exact three-section version of Audacity from "Help menu > About Audacity".

Audacity 1.2.x and 1.3.x are obsolete and no longer supported. If you still have those versions, please upgrade at https://www.audacityteam.org/download/.
The old forums for those versions are now closed, but you can still read the archives of the 1.2.x and 1.3.x forums.

Silence

Permanent link to this post Posted by Scarpia » Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:02 pm

I run Audacity 2.2.1 on two computers - a PC running XP and my laptop running Windows 10. My main use is recording radio programmes to save as MP3s. I have sound activated recording switched on as my wifi is not always reliable. When I press the record button on my PC (XP) it automatically inserts a half a second silence before the recording starts but this does not happen on my laptop (W10). I like the inserted silence. How can I make this happen on the laptop?
Scarpia

Operating System: Windows 10

Re: Silence

Permanent link to this post Posted by edwinn » Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:10 pm

How about inserting a half second of silence with Audacity before exporting to MP3?

-Ed
edwinn

Operating System: Windows 7

Permanent link to this post Posted by Scarpia » Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:03 am

Hi Edwinn

Thanks. I'm doing that but I just wondered why the two programmes acted differently and if there was a way to change it.
Scarpia

Permanent link to this post Posted by steve » Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:40 pm

Scarpia wrote:When I press the record button on my PC (XP) it automatically inserts a half a second silence before the recording starts

That shouldn't happen. There's something wrong (broken or set incorrectly) with the sound system on that machine, but if you like the behaviour, don't change anything.

I've no idea how, or even if it is possible, to recreate that fault on your other machine, so I'd stick with inserting half a second manually.
9/10 questions are answered in the FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ)
steve
Site Admin

Operating System: Linux *buntu

Permanent link to this post Posted by Scarpia » Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:08 pm

steve wrote:
Scarpia wrote:When I press the record button on my PC (XP) it automatically inserts a half a second silence before the recording starts

That shouldn't happen. There's something wrong (broken or set incorrectly) with the sound system on that machine, but if you like the behaviour, don't change anything.

I've no idea how, or even if it is possible, to recreate that fault on your other machine, so I'd stick with inserting half a second manually.

Ah. I didn't realise it was a fault. I thought it was an option somewhere.

Thanks for the replies.

Audacity is brilliant!
Scarpia

Return to Windows