How to transf music from mixer to laptop?

I’m trying to get my recorded songs on my mixer to my laptop. 2 RCA plugs come out of the mixer and as I understand, I need a USB audio interface, I think. I have no idea which one to buy and what effect this has on the quality of the songs I transfer.

Below are some specs of my laptop/mixer. I don’t know a lot about this so I hope someone can explain and help me with this problem. If you need more information/pictures, please ask.

Specs laptop:

Processor: Intel i5-6200U CPU @2.30GHz
RAM: 16.0 GB
System type: 64 bit

Specs mixer:

Roland 24 bit digital studio workstation VS-1680
https://www.roland.com/us/products/vs-1680/

Some people have had luck adapting the laptop headset connection to entertainment sound use, but I haven’t.

I use the Behringer UCA-202.

It’s hard to beat. Stereo in and out and a switchable headphone connection. It’s rated for perfect overdubbing, zero latency monitoring and headphone mixing.

It comes in a UCA222 version and near as I can tell, the only difference is the red paint job.

It also comes as a UFO-202 which has a built-in phono preamplifier for connection to an analog turntable. Note you give up some headphone tricks to get that preamp.

Koz

Apparently you can export digitally, (rather than analog), via 3rd party software …

Thanks for the information, this really helps a lot! :slight_smile: Can you explain what the advantages are of a phono preamplifier? I searched it on the internet, but I don’t really know if I need this.

It looks like I can’t download those 3rd party software amymore :confused: But thanks for the tip!

phono preamplifier is only useful if you are connecting a turntable, (playing old-fashioned vinyl records), to the computer.

It looks like I can’t download those 3rd party software amymore :confused: But thanks for the tip!

From what I read on the Internet, your “mixer” can write to a CD. So it you could digitally transfer the audio to the computer via CD and avoid the extra digital-to-analog-to-digital conversions. Although it will be less convenient.

Can you explain what the advantages are of a phono preamplifier?

If you don’t have a turntable you don’t need that feature. :wink: 1. A phono cartridge puts-out a few millivolts (similar to a microphone). The signal needs to be amplified to line-level (about 1V). The output from a mixer, or CD player, or TV, etc., is line level.

1. Vinyl records are RIAA equalized. The highest frequencies are boosted by about 20dB and the lowest frequencies are cut by about 20dB. The preamp applies (playback) RIAA equalization for (approximately) flat frequency response.

…In the “analog days” stereo receivers had a built-in phono preamp (rare today). DJ mixers, have phono preamps built-in.
Some modern turntables (including USB turntables) have a built-in preamp so you can plug them into a modern stereo system without adding a separate preamp. (Higher-end turntables are still built the old way with no active electronics.)