recording continues after pressing stop cant burn cd's

I am having issues after upgrading to version 2.2.1. After i select stop, the recording continues for several seconds, even though it looks like it ahs actually stopped. Then after I export as an mp3 file, and add to itunes to burn a cd, it always stops between the 2 tracks I am trying to make a cd of, and shows an error. Do I need to revert back to an earlier version, or is there something I am missing?

I don’t understand what you mean. How does it “look like it has stopped” and “continues for several seconds”?

the recording continues for several seconds, even though it looks like it ahs actually stopped.

I don’t know why that would happen but if it’s recording beyond what you want, Audacity is an audio editor so you can chop-off whatever you don’t want after recording. :wink: You can simply select/highlight the extra part at the end that you don’t want and hit the Delete key on your keyboard. …It’s kind-of normal to (intentionally) record a little extra and then trim the beginning and end.

it always stops between the 2 tracks I am trying to make a cd of, and shows an error.

That sounds like an iTunes problem. I don’t burn with iTunes so I probably can’t help, but what’s the error message?

\

Then after I export as an mp3 file, and add to itunes to burn a cd,

This is (probably) unrelated to your problem, but… CDs are uncompressed and MP3 is lossy compression. It’s best to use 44.1kHz, 16-bit WAV files when you’re making a CD. (Audio CDs don’t have WAV files, but they use the same underlying uncompressed PCM format.) iTunes (and most other burning programs) can decompress the audio but nothing can’t restore the data loss.

I’m NOT saying MP3 is “bad”… It can often sound identical to the original. But, it does throw-away data and it’s “bad practice” to do that when it’s unnecessary.

While I’m on the subject - When you load an MP3 (or AAC) into Audacity (or any normal audio editor) it gets decompressed. If you later re-export as MP3 (or AAC) you are going through another generation of lossy compression and the “damage” does build-up. So… If you want an MP3, compress ONCE as the last step. And if you don’t have an uncompressed original, try to minimize the number of times it’s compressed.

It doesnt matter what file type i use, it will not record to a cd. i even went in properties and set it to not record the last few seconds, and it still stopped recording. The funny thing is that when i play the track, the
counter stops, but the track continues.

What program are you talking about?
If you’re referring to Audacity, what “property” are you talking about, and what precisely did you do?

Are you talking about Audacity, then that will happen if there is some audio later on. Try pressing “Ctrl + A” (shortcut for “Select All”). Does the selection extend beyond the end of what you thought was the track? If so, scroll to the end of the selection and see what’s there.

No steve, I am talking about itunes. You can go in the properties of the track and select where to start and stop the file. I actually selected to stop the file up to a full minute before the end of the actual
recording, and it did the same thing. It stopped recording between the 2 tracks.

It seems to be working now. I exported as a wav file, instead of mp3 like I had done from 2016 until dec of 2017 Is there something that has changed in the software that has caused this bug? like I said before,
i did it another way for over 2 years, and then all of a sudden when I upgraded to the newer version, it no longer worked the same for some reason. An itunes problem, I dont think so

and suddenly it all comes clear …

Audacity changed a couple of years ago to VBR encoding by default for MP3s, because it gives better sound quality, and has been the recommended encoding standard for music for about a decade. Unfortunately, it would appear that Apple have still not fixed their VBR bugs in iTunes (which have been present since at least 2005).

My advice would be to use a better player than iTunes (such as foobar2000), and / or use a different format than MP3, but if you want to stick with both MP3 and iTunes, try setting the MP3 export settings to use CBR (Constant Bit Rate). See: http://manual.audacityteam.org/man/mp3_export_options.html
or
You could use iTunes to encode WAV files to MP3 VBR (I believe they add non-standard custom headers to the VBR MP3 files to work around the problem).