Newbie completely lost!

I have Audacity 2.2.1 running on windows 7 pro. 64 bit. Trying to put together a demo file that includes both vocals from a mic/headphone set and music in mp3 format from my computer. Have tried every configuration of playback and recording available in windows, but cannot get Audacity to even measure my vocal coming through the mic, nor see any monitoring should I play music from my computer. Forgive me for this probably very simple question but I am lost and your help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

but cannot get Audacity to even measure my vocal coming through the mic,

Let’s start with that. You’ll need to select your [u]Recording Device[/u], depending on what kind of microphone you’re using… The mic built-into your laptop, a mic plugged-into the mic jack, a mic into an external USB interface, a USB mic, etc.

If you can’t get it to work, please tell us what kind of mic you are using and how it’s connected (and any other equipment).

nor see any monitoring should I play music from my computer.

When you load the music file into Audacity, can you play it?

Once you can record from the microphone…
[u]Mixing a Narration With Background Music[/u]

[u]Recording Multi-track Overdubs[/u]

Once you’re set-up, the biggest issue is usually latency (delay) if you are monitoring yourself with headphones plugged into the computer. There is always some delay through the computer but sometimes you can get it down to where it’s unnoticeable or there are interfaces that have a direct-hardware monitoring option where the monitoring path doesn’t go through the computer. (The backing track still comes from the computer.)