Missing plugin, even though it says Enabled

Help for Audacity 2.x.x on Windows.

ImageThis forum is for Audacity 2.x.x on Windows.
Please state which version of Windows you are using,
and the exact three-section version of Audacity from "Help menu > About Audacity".

Audacity 1.2.x and 1.3.x are obsolete and no longer supported. If you still have those versions, please upgrade at https://www.audacityteam.org/download/.
The old forums for those versions are now closed, but you can still read the archives of the 1.2.x and 1.3.x forums.

Missing plugin, even though it says Enabled

Permanent link to this post Posted by bardkestrel » Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:58 am

I was using Audacity 2.1.3, I think, and went to use the Limiter effect. It didn't show up in the effects list at all. I checked the Add/Remove Plugin function, and it said Limiter was enabled. I went through a few rounds of rebooting Audacity, turning Limiter off and on manually, and nothing seemed to work. I tried updating the program to see if that helped, but it still has the same problem--it says Limiter is enabled, but it doesn't show up in the list at all. It's very frustrating, naturally. If anyone can help, that would be wonderful. I took some screenshots just to show that everything should be working properly.
files3.png
files3.png (63.41 KiB) Viewed 146 times

files2.png
files2.png (43 KiB) Viewed 146 times

files.png
files.png (67.04 KiB) Viewed 146 times

Thanks in advance!
bardkestrel

Operating System: Windows 10

Re: Missing plugin, even though it says Enabled

Permanent link to this post Posted by steve » Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:17 am

By default, Audacity's Effect menu lists built-in effects first, then plug-in effects. The Limiter is a plug-in effect. Scroll down the list below "Wah Wah".
9/10 questions are answered in the FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ)
steve
Site Admin

Operating System: Linux *buntu

Permanent link to this post Posted by bardkestrel » Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:04 pm

Thanks, but I did consider that. I can only show so much on the screen at a time--Limiter is not present in that area, either. (And on previous uses, I would swear it was always in the main list, but memories fail.) No, I did scroll to the bottom, but all it says below Wahwah is: Adjustable Fade, Clip Fix, Crossfade Clips, and Crossfade Tracks.
bardkestrel

Permanent link to this post Posted by steve » Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:07 pm

What is drive "D:"?
steve
Site Admin

Permanent link to this post Posted by bardkestrel » Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:12 pm

I have an Asus. They want you to save everything in the Cloud, so the C drive is extremely small. Fortunately on the desktop, unlike my laptop (that's a much longer story) they give you a much larger D drive called "Data" and that's where I typically save programs that don't automatically install themselves on the C drive.
bardkestrel

Permanent link to this post Posted by steve » Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:45 pm

bardkestrel wrote:they give you a much larger D drive called "Data" and that's where I typically save programs that don't automatically install themselves on the C drive.

I think that's the problem. Audacity should be installed on a local drive.
I'm actually surprised that it works at all from cloud storage.

It is possible to run Audacity from a USB memory stick ("thumb drive"). To do that, you just need to:
  1. Get the ZIP version of Audacity from: https://www.audacityteam.org/download/windows/
  2. Extract the contents of the ZIP package onto the USB drive
  3. Open the folder (on the USB drive) that contains the file "audacity.exe" and create a new empty folder called "Portable Settings".
To run this "portable" installation, double click on the "audacity.exe" file.
Tip: if you use this method regularly, you could create a Desktop shortcut to the audacity.exe file).

Some information about Portable Settings here: https://manual.audacityteam.org/man/pre ... l#portable
steve
Site Admin

Permanent link to this post Posted by bardkestrel » Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:52 pm

No, the D: drive is a local drive, it's a secondary hard drive built into the system. I was lamenting that the laptop lacks this feature, and as such doesn't have enough space for the necessary Windows 10 security update. Asus just also offers a limited amount of OneDrive complimentary (I don't know if OneDrive has this on its own), as well as 25gb with Dropbox. Both C: and D: are local hard drives on the computer.
bardkestrel

Permanent link to this post Posted by steve » Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:25 pm

OK, but the location of the plug-in is not one of the normal locations for plug-ins.
How did you install Audacity?
steve
Site Admin

Permanent link to this post Posted by bardkestrel » Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:43 pm

Well, I clicked the link, installed it, and told it to install to D: instead of its default. I didn't change anything else. I'm not sure what else you mean by the question. (This would be so much faster and less frustrating with a dedicated help chat line =() Look, I've used Limiter before without a problem. It's always been there before. I made absolutely no changes to the system, did nothing to the program, but last night, Limiter wasn't there.
bardkestrel

Permanent link to this post Posted by steve » Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:40 pm

bardkestrel wrote:Well, I clicked the link,

Which link?
If it was on this page: https://www.audacityteam.org/download/windows/ there are two versions listed - the ZIP package and the EXE.
If you got it from somewhere else, please say where.

bardkestrel wrote:This would be so much faster and less frustrating with a dedicated help chat line =()

Audacity is free software, developed and supported by enthusiasts in their spare time. I certainly don't want hundreds of people phoning me up night and day.

bardkestrel wrote:I've used Limiter before without a problem. It's always been there before. I made absolutely no changes to the system, did nothing to the program, but last night, Limiter wasn't there

and we're trying to work out why that happened. Plug-ins do not usually disappear for no reason, so we need to find out what's peculiar about your set-up that allowed / caused that to happen - what the precise chain of events was.

So far I can see that Audacity is not installed in the normal installation directory, and no obvious reason why. We need to start somewhere, and a good place to start is with exactly which version of Audacity you have, and how it was installed.

You wrote in your first post: "I was using Audacity 2.1.3"
What happened next? Which version do you now have?
steve
Site Admin

Next

Return to Windows