Win 10 audio problems

Audacity vw2.1.2
PC was Win7…everything worked PERFECTLY…!!!
I got a new PC with Win 10 Pro…

1. If I transfer an audio file to the Win 10 computer…Audacity will open it and work just fine…
  2. If I record from any tape or LP into Win 10…Audacity will RECORD but there is NO audio…
    2a. However…after recording the audio file from tape or LP…even though I cannot hear it while recording…
    I can play the file in Audacity and hear it…

So…for some reason I have no audio while recording…but playback works fine…

suggestions and ideas appreciated…
Steve

If you want to hear what you are recording, while you are recording it,
tick the box I have colored yellow in Audacity preferences
To hear what you are recording, tick the box I have coloured yellow.png

Well…I missed that…BUT no joy…

Now I am getting the green markers in the microphone and speaker bar…but no audio wave form…
Screenshot 2018-01-20 18.57.59.png
I am getting NO audio from any live playback source…tuntable…tape deck…etc…
\ONLY from an audio file on the HD itself…

Thinking more of a Win 10 issue than Audacity…

Thanks for the help…

The input level is peaking at about -50dB, that’s very close to silence ≃ “no audio wave form”, so no inconsistency
-50dB is essentially silence.png
-50dB is close to flatline silence.gif

OK. Before we ride off in all directions, how are you connecting your players to the Win10 machine? The Older Win7 machine may have had a good stereo music system connection on the soundcard in back. Mine does. Chances of the Win10 machine having that is practically zero—unless you intentionally bought or built the machine to do that.

So how did you do it? Or how did you try to do it?

Koz

Folks…thanks for the help…
A little background to help understand the problem…
I am a retired computer tech…
I picked up the hobby of digitizing analog media from some of the musicians in the area…
Reel to reel, DAT, cassette, LP’s etc…AND I record some artists at one of the local venues…
I do a LOT of it…
Started about 4 years ago…

I set up a Win 7 PC…lots of RAM…OS and programs on SSD drive…
And all the data stored on a RAID1 drive…and that drive is backed up to Carbonite…

Well…Microsoft had a deal where you could upgrade a Win7 or 8 to Win 10 for free…but the deal ended Dec 31…
So I did it…I upgraded…then rebuilt the PC with a NEW SSD…now the Win 10 is a fresh install and not
running on top of Win 7…should be a perfect world…

Since the upgrade all of the audio work I have been doing is live recording…transferring the files from my portable digital recorder
to the PC…opening them in Audacity and doing what I do to the files…

Now…for the first time since I upgraded…I am trying to play reel to reel and LP’s into Audacity to
record…NOT transferring files from my portable digital recorder…

And I am running into problems…

What CAN I do…

1. I can play CD’s…
  2. I can play any WAV or MP3 file that is ON THE HD…
  3. I CAN NOT play any media in real time thru either the PC or Audacity…reel to reel, LP’s etc…

I have looked at all my cabling and see no issues…all connections look good…

I use the motherboard sound card…NOT a plug in card or a USB audio card…So…It is possible that my internal sound card shot craps…
Haven’t tested that yet…

And as I write this…it seems more and more likely that the sound card is the issue…

Totally open to thoughts and suggestions…