Overwriting Music Doesn't Take Effect

Hello.
I’m using Audacity 2.1.0
My Operating System is Windows 10.
Every time I take a music track (mp3), import it into audacity to edit (for example, cutting the ends off so there’s no silence), and then export it and overwrite the original music file that I imported… nothing happens. As in, the file doesn’t update. The song stays the same.
I’ve already found a solution for this; namely, to save the song in a new folder, or delete the old song and then save it in the same folder.

This is extremely tedious though and I feel like it’s a bug. Is it?
Maybe there’s something about the OS I don’t know about that’s actually causing this.
Any help is appreciated.

This is not an Audacity thing. Sounds like the OS is trying to prevent you from overwriting a file which is in use.
Two workarounds are either to save the audio file under a different name in the same folder, or save the audio file with the same name in a different folder.

That’s not happening to me…

Are you getting any error message?

Maybe you don’t have permission to write to that location? Maybe the file is flagged as read-only? Maybe you are writing to a different location without realizing it?

(for example, cutting the ends off so there’s no silence),

How much silence are you trying to trim? If you are trying to remove a second or two you can do that, but MP3 adds a few milliseconds of silence so you can’t remove it all.

Have you tried something more drastic &, say reducing the volume by -20dB?

DVDoug

Are you getting any error message?]

No.

Maybe you don’t have permission to write to that location? Maybe the file is flagged as read-only? Maybe you are writing to a different location without realizing it?

I have permission. I am the administrator. It’s not read-only. I’m not writing to a different location.

How much silence are you trying to trim? If you are trying to remove a second or two you can do that, but MP3 adds a few milliseconds of silence so you can’t remove it all.

The amount of audio I’m trying to trim would have no effect, but I was trimming a couple seconds on the audio’s intro that was mute.

Have you tried something more drastic &, say reducing the volume by -20dB?

I have actually. I could import the audio file, MUTE the entire track(s) and overwrite the original file, and nothing would happen.

Trebor

This is not an Audacity thing. Sounds like the OS is trying to prevent you from overwriting a file which is in use.
Two workarounds are either to save the audio file under a different name in the same folder, or save the audio file with the same name in a different folder.

The file is not in use (unless you consider the file being in audacity in use). Yes, those two workarounds are what I mentioned in my topic.

Thanks for replying and trying to solve this problem with me. I’ve actually been working with computers for 20 years, and I can always figure out why on my own. So it’s not surprising that figuring out exactly what’s going on isn’t going to be easy. It could be an OS thing. I’m actually leaning towards that… but if it WERE an OS thing, why would it be only doing this to audio files and not, let’s say, video files? I can edit a video file in another program and overwrite the original and have it actually be overwritten.
That alone makes me think it’s not JUST an OS problem.