Timer Window Not Updating and Responding

When starting a timed recording, the timer window updates only sporadically. That is, it might start out showing me how many seconds have been recorded, and how many seconds are remaining. Then, it stops updating for several minutes. It may update again briefly, and then not again for several minutes.

The good news is that the recording does end at the specified time, even if the window hasn’t updated for many minutes.

In terms of functionality, a worse problem is that the Stop button (as well as the “X” [Close Window] button), after asking for confirmation, may not respond for several minutes (although it will occasionally respond immediately).

I am recording using Audio Host: MME, Recording Device: Microphone (3- USB Audio CODEC), Recording Channels: 2 (Stereo) Recording Channels via a Behringer UCA-202 attached to my tape deck. I have enabled Automatic Save, disabled Automatic Export, and specified “Do nothing” after recording completes. I am specifying the Duration only, not the Start and End dates and time.

I’m running Audacity 2.2.1 on a 64-bit Windows 10 Home, Version 1709, OS Build 16299.192. My laptop is an Acer Aspire 4830T (Intel Core i3-2370M @ 2.40Ghz) with 4.00 GB RAM.

I just discovered that after clicking Stop and confirming, I can cause Audacity to immediately stop recording by unplugging the Behringer USB cable from my laptop.