Audacity records nothing when screen locks (records silence)

So I am running 2.2.1 and I am using a behringer UCA202 from usb to the microsoft surface book laptop (windows 10) When I record everything seems fine, but when the computer locks after a while I get no audio. Audacity continues to record and when I unlock it gets sound again. I have set the usb to continue to give power while locked and the UCA202 is still getting power and I can hear it from the onboard headphone jack of the UCA202. When I use the same setup with my mac laptop it doesn’t happen, it just keeps recording even when the screen locks. Does anyone have any idea why this is happening? Thanks.

Nobody would ever accuse Windows and Macs of doing things the same way. My Mac is perfectly happy recording off-air TV shows while the screen is dark.

My guess is the screen lock on the Surface interrupts the sound pathway.

I can hear it from the onboard headphone jack of the UCA202.

Just because there are variations on this dance, what are you recording?

Koz

I am recording from an clean microphone into my Behringer Xenyx 1202 Mixer and then take the main output from that and feed it into the uca202. I think you are right that the sound pathway is being interrupted.

Perfectly valid pathway.

There are tricks where you record special effects by feeding the UCA-202 output back into its input.

Koz

As a fuzzy but general rule, you should never change anything during a recording. That’s just begging loudly for trouble.

Disable the screen lock and run the Surface on shore power rather than batteries (if you can). If you do that, make sure the shore power (wall power adapter) is not adding noise to the show.

Koz

Thanks, I will just turn that off and not let the computer turn off the screen. I do hate changing settings between recording or not. Odd that is works fine on the mac though (and linux).

Odd that is works fine on the mac though

See first response:

Nobody would ever accuse Windows and Macs of doing things the same way.

Koz