Constant static/line noise

Help for Audacity 2.x.x on Windows.

ImageThis forum is for Audacity 2.x.x on Windows.
Please state which version of Windows you are using,
and the exact three-section version number of Audacity from "Help menu > About Audacity".

Audacity 1.2.x and 1.3.x are obsolete and no longer supported. If you still have those versions, please upgrade at https://www.audacityteam.org/download/.
The old forums for those versions are now closed, but you can still read the archives of the 1.2.x and 1.3.x forums.

Re: Constant static/line noise

Permanent link to this post Posted by kozikowski » Sun Dec 31, 2017 2:17 am

Has the performer read before? There are several nasty things that can happen to first time readers.

They hate the sound of their voice. "Is that really me? Is the microphone broken?"

The first book of any size is the class on theatrical reading. You can struggle to the end over days and then as a test, play your first chapter. Which may suck. It's not that unusual for First Time Readers to read the first work twice. Only the second one for publication.

Is the performer also the writer? If not, you will need to get used to the ping-pong of submitting for approval before publication. If the two people are in different cities, a file posting service is handy. Maybe something with the word "cloud" in it.

It is Very Strongly Recommended that you export each chapter raw reading as a WAV (Microsoft) as you go. Save it in a safe place away from possible damage. You should never need to read a chapter again because you accidentally destroyed a sound file.

Even though ACX requires posting in MP3, you should do all production in perfect quality WAV. Make their MP3 as a last step.

Koz
kozikowski
Forum Staff

Operating System: OS X 10.9 Mavericks

Permanent link to this post Posted by thusband » Sun Dec 31, 2017 4:09 am

I have several microphones to choose from in Windows, one being M-Audio line something I think. I thought I should un-enable the Windows mikes. I'll do the scratch test tomorrow.

My wife, who does the recording, reads the books off the laptop from an organization called EasyBooks on their software so it has to be in front of her.

I'll look at it again and thanks again.
thusband

Operating System: Please select

Permanent link to this post Posted by kozikowski » Sun Dec 31, 2017 4:54 am

reads the books off the laptop from an organization called EasyBooks on their software so it has to be in front of her.

Can you sense the stormclouds? The EasyBooks hot keys can't conflict with the Audacity hot keys. Audacity does not play well with others to quote the grade school report card.

Do either of you have an iPhone?

Koz
kozikowski
Forum Staff

Permanent link to this post Posted by thusband » Sun Dec 31, 2017 1:48 pm

Nope, we both have Android phones. I'll have to look at any conflict with EasyBooks but the same noise is heard in EasyBooks too,
thusband

Permanent link to this post Posted by kozikowski » Sun Dec 31, 2017 3:14 pm

the same noise is heard in EasyBooks too,

Did you do the scratch test to see which microphone you're recording from?

Koz
kozikowski
Forum Staff

Permanent link to this post Posted by thusband » Sun Dec 31, 2017 3:25 pm

kozikowski wrote:
the same noise is heard in EasyBooks too,

Did you do the scratch test to see which microphone you're recording from?

Koz

No, not yet. I'll try to get to that today.
thusband

Previous

Return to Windows