Making Help Videos

Help for Audacity 2.x.x on Windows.

ImageThis forum is for Audacity 2.x.x on Windows.

• Please state which version of Windows you are using, the exact three-section version of Audacity from "Help menu > About Audacity".

• Audacity 1.2.x and 1.3.x are obsolete and no longer supported. If you still have those versions, please upgrade at https://www.audacityteam.org/download/.
    The old forums for those versions are now closed, but you can still read the archives of the 1.2.x and 1.3.x forums.

Re: Making Help Videos

Permanent link to this post Posted by mikedownes » Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:46 am

@kozokowski - thanks for taking the time to comment and for the hat full of suggestions. One of my aims is to make audacity appeal to a 'new set of users'. It's a guess but i bet you have been using audacity for a quite a few years?

Of the 800 public videos i have at youtube, my average audience retention is 73 seconds. I make short videos to help people learn, videos that leave the viewer with a new skill with immediate actionable points. I rarely make edu/info/tainment videos. I cannot fly a helicopter, but searched youtube 'how to'.. i found two kinds of videos those that were interesting with loud music and gave me a buzz to watch and those who actually talked through step by step what each lever and pedal did in the cockpit -- of course the 'level headed calm videos' were much harder to find.

@steve i like your idea of bite size. As a teacher the BBC did a whole series called Bitesize for the Year 6 SAT exams. On making https://youtu.be/lJY8lVzZNnU yesterday, at 4:30 was far too long. I like to ONLY cover about THREE teaching points in a video - anymore and people get stuck, good test when a person tells another a phone number to write down, ''012 345 678" etc sets of three work well ..

thanks if i write any more here - i am clearly not making new videos :)
mikedownes

Operating System: Windows 10

Permanent link to this post Posted by steve » Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:19 pm

@mikedownes
One small technical point. I've noticed that in your videos, when you play sound from Audacity, it is often much louder than when you are talking directly. In one case the music playing in Audacity was so loud that I turned down the volume on my laptop, only to find that when you started talking again, I couldn't hear you properly.

Ideally, the sound from Audacity should be a little quieter than when you are talking, as what you are saying is the more important sound.
If you need help setting that, let us know how you are set up and I expect we will be able to help.
9/10 questions are answered in the FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ)
steve
Site Admin

Operating System: Linux *buntu

Permanent link to this post Posted by mikedownes » Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:08 pm

Ah yes many thanks - I use OBS Studio - so need to look at audio mixer settings -- all my fault and thanks for letting me know..
mikedownes

Operating System: Windows 10

Previous

Return to Windows