Audacity will not record on this computer

Hello all, I have a recording problem. I am a recording artist and I need to record vocals for songs, but when I try to record, I get a flatline. I did use Audacity before with no problems and I have songs out already. It decided to do this for no reason it seems. The thing is, when I plug in my setup into a different computer, it records just fine. If you have any answers, I would greatly appreciate it!

You can start with left-brain obsessive descriptions, model numbers and versions. We can’t work with “a different computer.”

What are you singing into? How is it connected? Which three-number Audacity are you using? Who made your current computer? What’s the model? Has this config ever worked?

If it’s a laptop, can you record at all with the built-in microphone?

Can Audacity find your microphone or microphone system? It’s pretty common to plug in a USB microphone after Audacity is already running and Audacity can’t find it. Start Audacity after you plug everything up or Transport > Rescan.

Koz

I am singing into a microphone connected to a mixer via XLR connected to my computer via a Sabrent USB External Stereo Sound Adapter. I am currently using Audacity 2.2.0 on my Lenovo G70. I can not record at all with the built in microphone as well. Audacity is able to detect that something is plugged in.

Can you find your Windows Start button?

Start > Control Panel > Sound

That should give you a panel similar to this.
Win7SoundPanel.PNG
Switch to the Record Tab. Find the USB device that more or less matches the Sabrent. It may not say that, but it may be the only USB sound device in that panel. Make music or sound into the Sabrent. Do the green bars flash like in my picture?

Audacity gets sound from Windows, not the Sabrent, so it has to get here first.

Let us know.

Koz

OK, that may be a waveoff. Does your Sabrent look like this?
Screen Shot 2017-11-30 at 17.01.10.png
That’s not the right adapter to go from your mixer to the computer.

The pink connection is for a sensitive mono computer microphone, not high volume stereo mixer sound.

Let us know.

Koz

Yes that is the product I purchased. The thing is, I set up my microphone and everything and I decided to start recording a new song and it worked! But after trying to get my mic to work in FL studio, it seemed to make it stop working in Audacity for some reason. Now, I have no idea if that’s the reason or not, but it very well could be. Maybe it could be my drivers? I’m not the smartest with computers haha so maybe you have some other suggestions.

Maybe it could be my drivers?

My guess is no. Software drivers don’t come and go like that (that I know of).

Maybe it’s as simple as starting Audacity after you connect everything.

a mixer via XLR

XLR is the connection type that good quality microphones use.

We got that part down. What’s the mixer?

Koz

Mixer: Neewer 1-channel 48V phantom power supply

This is connected to the Sabrent via an xlr to 1/8

Sabrent via an xlr to 1/8

Getting closer. Does the 1/8" look like this.
Screen Shot 2017-11-30 at 20.46.27.png
I forgot I shot this

Or like this?

The 1/8" doesn’t have to look exactly like that, but it does have to have only one black ring, not two.

Koz

You don’t have a mixer. You can’t plug two or three microphones in and mix between them. You only have the power supply to run your condenser microphone which I’m guessing about because you didn’t tell us what it is.

With all the problems you can have with the Neewer and adapter cable, it still should not have just vanished from Audacity.

I’m getting dizzy. Go back up the discussion and look at the message where I said to open the Windows control panel and see if you can find the Neewer. See if you can make the little green bar sound meter jump.

Koz

I am using an Audio Technica at2020. When everything is connected, Windows is able to detect something is there, but the green bar will not move.

Audio Technica at2020

Terrific microphone. There is a YouTube home singer/performer I like and I think he has one of those.

Windows is able to detect something is there, but the green bar will not move.

That’s the bad news. Audacity gets its sound from Windows, not the microphone or microphone system. If Windows can’t hear it, that’s full stop.

Does it still work in FLStudio?

I’m out of ideas. I do not like the odd adapter cable and Sabrent USB adapter. This is perfectly typical of “magic” failures that can happen with those two.

I have a nice, simple Behringer UM2 microphone and USB adapter. It seems to work perfectly every time I need it. It supplies 48 volt phantom power to microphones that need it.

I certified it for “perfect” overdubbing in Audacity. It has zero latency monitoring and will let you listen to yourself while you perform each part to a multi-part song. You will not be able to do that with the Sabrent system.
Screen Shot 2017-12-01 at 19.59.18.png
They make a fancier UMC22 and there is also a Focusrite Scarlett Solo. All do the same job at increasing cost.

Koz